Props for Admiral Steel

Last spring, I was overseas for a bit, and had ordered some precision ground O-1 to monkey around on folders while I was there. Short version, I came back earlier than I'd expected, and never saw my package. Figured the locals over there would send it to my home address like they had one other box that got there after I came home, but nothin'. Figured it was in the back of some government warehouse lost to all time.

Just got off the phone with a guy from Admiral who had received the package back to their location, but had a bad phone number in their records for me. Dood went out on yellowbook and tracked me down, confirmed that I still wanted it, and said he was slapping a UPS label for my home address right now.

I like that.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

That's pretty good customer service, especially considering the length of time since the order. Maybe I'll just have to buy steel from them now.

Thanks for the info.

- Mitch

g,day fellas

may be you got admirals on a good day ,i sent an email the 21st october i received an email back wanting my postal adress yep sent that back the following day ,from that last email untill today i have had no contact from them ,during that time i have sent 4 more emails to them trying to confirm a price and order ,?????.may be they are too busy ;)

thanks john

I think we are going to have to start buying from Admiral.

we are sick of guessing over old scrap steel and using car leaf springs.

Admiral has fair prices right??

how much would a bar of L6 or other good long blade steel cost?? in other words, how much would steel for 1 sword cost???

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

They list 98" bar of 3/16X1" L6 substitute for $19.20. From discussions on other threads, it's very close to what other suppliers sell as L6. Admiral originally sold this as L6 but evidently they must have had some complaints about the assay or something and found out from their supplier that it was "almost" L6. From some of the posts I've read, most people probably didn't notice any difference.

I've not had any bad dealings with Admiral but they are a little quirky. I buy 9260 from them. They don't have a listing for 9260, it's burried in their listing for 5160 so you have to go look for it. As a matter of fact, their 1 1/2" 5160 that's listed on their online store is actually 9260. The 1" 9260 is listed as such. Selling to the small knife maker is not a big part of their business and I think it shows but they aren't like one supplier I e-mailed who stated that their minimum order would be $4000. At least Admiral is willing to sell in small lots.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I think we are going to have to start buying from Admiral.

we are sick of guessing over old scrap steel and using car leaf springs.

Admiral has fair prices right??

how much would a bar of L6 or other good long blade steel cost?? in other words, how much would steel for 1 sword cost???

About damn time! :rolleyes:

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

The steel Admiral is selling in flats that is simlar to L-6 is actually 8670. If you do not already have a lot of experience with L-6 from Carpenter or Crucible, you will not know any different. The afforementioned suppliers (at least Crucible) only stock L-6 in rounds. I have heard a rumor that Carpenter has it in flats less that half inch thick now, which used to be the thinnest flat stock they had. I have not checked to see if it is true or not. Both Crucible and Carpenter are now more concerned with small orders than in years past. If you call a Crucible service center and are professional and courteous, they will treat you in kind. I have had a standing open account with them for many years, and they are first class to do businesss with.

I bought loads of steel from Carpenter years ago, but stopped for personal reasons which are of no concern here. They also run a first class company and produce first class tool steels.

Admiral's reputation is good too. But I have no personal experience with them.

Known materials are always better than unknown materials for customer work, IMO. Exceptions might be making wootz, or when you are first getting going with pattern welded steels. Though I still suggest using known raw materials whenever possible. It makes life simpler and less stressful when it comes time to heat treat blades.

It is always good to hear about good customer service !

Edited by Howard Clark

It is always good to hear about good customer service !

Always good:)!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Last I talked to Cinci steel, almost 2 years ago, they told me they had L-6 as thin as 3/8 inch in stock, if they are selling smaller orders now I should call them back :) thanks for the info, I cant see getting 1,500 worth of L6 this month. but I am running low, a few hundered $ worth will be nice

Admiral gets my business because I can order online. I spend my days at work on the phone calling the "customer service" dept of a fairly large insurance company. I don't have to talk to someone who asks me to repeat my self, I know what's available and I can order at 1 in the AM when I've had a couple of drinks and shouldn't be ordering as much as I am... wait... yeah, that's ok by me. They still get my business :D

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten several shipments from Admiral when I was starting up my biz, and always had good service from them, and ok prices. I'm using mostly 5160 right now, and Pacific Machinery and Tool Steel out of Oregon has vastly better prices on it in the sizes I use. What I DID find out however, is that the 5160 I got from Admiral is a much more stress relieved steel than from Pacific. Not an issue now, but back then it was giving me fits..... Overall, I'd definately use Admiral again if their prices for whatever I was getting was competitive.

Dan