... Mn was here a minute ago.... he musta R-U-N-N-O-F-T.... hee hee hee... :wacko::lol:

Mr Hadfield... and his notorious Band of no-goods.. ...... and where is he now... ... awhhh rest my case

G was a sad joker :blink:

Edited by Greg Thomas Obach
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you have your hammer ready Howard because... Heeeeerrrrres Mn! This is a picture of that bar of 1080 from Admiral after etching. I was surprised by how fine the pattern is. The knife I forged from this bar had a somewhat different, larger, pattern. This was done in a hurry, it would probably show better if I polished the area more carefully before etching. I used the muriatic acid you can buy at the hardware store and etched for about an hour.

Banding_b.jpg

Edited by B. Norris

guess thats bad news for admiral... i bet that a certain patent holder will bust them down in court and have em beggin for der mama... :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

it does look real neat.. .. and cool that you got it to come out with HCl... i've had no luck with that..

Greg

I hope you have your hammer ready Howard because... Heeeeerrrrres Mn! This is a picture of that bar of 1080 from Admiral after etching. I was surprised by how fine the pattern is. The knife I forged from this bar had a somewhat different, larger, pattern. This was done in a hurry, it would probably show better if I polished the area more carefully before etching. I used the muriatic acid you can buy at the hardware store and etched for about an hour.

Cool..do you have the order date or maybe a batch number from Admiral? I'd like to get a sample of it to put on my website.....I think it is time for me to consolidate this info and make it available in one area.purely for educational purposes of course.nothing to do with anyone's business practices or anything...that would be wrong,missleading and dare I say dishonest.

Oh, send a sample to Kevin cashen...he can use it in his metals presentation.

Say...just for folk to know...Kevin is making a DVD of his metallurgy lecture (well, I have been after him for a few months to do this at any rate...if enough folk ask him then he may just do it). I tried this with both Howard and Don for their books, but thus far no result.

Ric

Cool..do you have the order date or maybe a batch number from Admiral?

Alas, I ordered this over five years ago and the receipt has long since gone away. You are welcome to a chunk of this Richard, I'll even send along enough for Kevin as well... In trade for a copy of that DVD of his when he gets around to making it! I just need an addresse to ship to.

You could probably just order several bars, of different alloys, from Admiral and etch them all. The 10xx stock they sell is all sheared from plate and, if I recall correctly, there is a higher incidence of alloy banding in plate products due to manufacturing methods. I could be way off base on that one so take it with a grain of salt.

Bruce

Oh, wootz have we here - a brand-new Spyderco Endura with a VG-10 blade, carbide banding and all. Guess Spyderco and Takefu Specialty Steel Co. are pseudo-violating the pseudo-wootz pseudo-patent too!

:lol:

spyderco03.jpg

It really looks like wootz, I suggest all you commercial knife users check your VG-10 blades, could be a wootzfest

:DB)

John V. has pre-empted the need for me to write a book with the one ASM just published. :)

I may still do one someday, but it is likely to be more of an expose' of all the dirt I have on everyone for the last twenty years :o

Kidding, really. :)

Making a living has to take precedence over writing. I would like to write down all the stuff I have done, and have much of it, but it is a random collection of rantings, and in no order at all. Much like my mind, actually. :)

I have a strong desire to take some of the 1050 barstock and the 5160 and O1 barstock I have on hand and polish and etch some sections just like you have done....I'll bet all of these steels have prominent and interesting banding patterns right from the mill if they are etched to show it.

Maybe in my spare time...

Brian

• 1 month later...
On his forum Mr Watson makes a big point of distinguishing between "alloy banding" and "carbide banding." What I am reading here makes me think that they are one and the same. Would this be accurate?

Mr Watson seems to make a big point on many things.....I have not seen his site in quite a while.....I think the last time I really looked at it it was during a lawsuit I was researching on behalf of a friend. At that time I seem to recall he was selling "Living Steel" and some time before that I seem to remember something about "Emerald Forging"

........seems like the sort of guy I would like to get metalurgical information from....yes?

I can't wait to see what comes next...rest assured there will be something new in not too long......I find the names given to be the best part of the work...very creative...no lack of creativity there to be sure.

Ric

Ju-Ju? I invented Ju-Ju!

I have a patent pending for my Techno Ju-Ju™ infusion process.

I will give out 5 year Ju-Ju licenses in exchange for beer, confectionary gift baskets and bags of charcoal.

That is all.

Ju-Ju? I invented Ju-Ju!

I have a patent pending for my Techno Ju-Ju™ infusion process.

I will give out 5 year Ju-Ju licenses in exchange for beer, confectionary gift baskets and bags of charcoal.

That is all.

I have Ju-Ju, Did I infringe on your pattern. I beg your forgiveness. Please don't sue me. I promise I'll never use it if you don't. Now I'm scared !

All I have to say about Mr Watson is that I think he needs a visit from some big guys with bent noses for a little Italian justice. I'm with Tim all the way on this. I'd be really pissed if it was me, and keep on making these knives just to spite this asshole. I'm usually a very mellow person, but for some reason, this has really pissed me off. I'd like to meet this guy in a dark ally.

Tony G

Ric,

Please let me rephrase. Dan Watson makes certain claims in regards to there being differences between carbide banding and alloy banding. I don't believe that this is true. Everything I have read indicates that they are in fact the same thing. I am hoping that some of the more knowledgeable members here could let me know if they are they same thing, or if they are not was hoping someone could clarify the difference. Basically I was hoping to get some accurate information from the guys who actually know instead of listening to what Mr. Watson is spouting.

Cheers

Chuck

Hello All,

This thread has run for almost 5,000 hits and many postings and I think that Tim's original intent has been satisfied.

Perhaps this is a dead issue at this point and we should all move on.

Let us continue rather, with the high quality of debate and information that has graced this forum form its beginning....in another thread please.

Let this be the last post here...it is time to move on.

I suggest that this thread be kept for reference, but it is also time to let it lay....it is far to simple a matter to have this thread spiral down to a not so pleasant destination and this is NOT where any of us whish it to end up.

Ric Furrer

• 2 weeks later...

I get this all the time with real old 1075. Yes I mean really really old stock.

Tinker asked me if it was wootz. He seemed surprised when I told him what it was.

The patterning is never the same. Sometimes more pronounced then others.

I like it and so do my clients.

OK, I re-read the patent for the "wootzy looking steel".

It sounds like he is equateing quenching to cryo.

So now any fast thermal conversion is an infringment?

Isnt quenching in oil or water a fast thermal conversion?

Ive been out in my barn to long.

All this legal stuff just makes me want to call my lawyer names.

Edited by Arik Estus