"Shiv" dagger with redwood burl and Hamon

Chris Moss

Hey everybody...

here is something i just finished.. i have been playing around with the idea since i saw pictures of Don Fogg's shiv daggers. the blade was forged from W1 and was quenched with water. (that is my first that didnt crack) also i blued the "integral" part of the blade where it transitions into the handle.. so it is darker than the pictures give it credit for.

the "cap" on the end is made from copper and blackened. the handle is redwood burl.

let me know what you think... i was going for an "antique" look. you think i could sell it? DSC02448.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

thanks for looking!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

If anyone thinks that a symetrical double edge blade is easy to forge, give it a try some time. My first attempt just ended up with a design modification <_< . That is an outstanding job, Chris. I hope to be able to do as well someday soon. I just have to chase my demons back into the anxiety closet and get busy.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

thanks doug!

well i have to admit.. i kinda cheated.. i really didnt want to mess with a diamond profile.. so i went triangular instead. then i went and forged a Shobu-Zukuri style wak.. and decided it was avery good thing that i went with the triangle. my lines arnt very "crisp" yet.

thanks for the feedback!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

I don't think you could sell it, so give it to me:). VERY NICELY DONE CHRIS! This is above and beyond, that is just fantastic and i am very jealous;). you are giving me a buttload of ideas for the bar of W1 i got, thanks:D.

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Beautiful piece Chris. I really like that.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

You should really try your hand at some yari...

There arent enough people making them nowadays. That would be a good market to tap into, no competition there.

Mike Lambiase

yari? what are yari? i mean i can google it.. but.. why do you say that there is no competition?

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

wow...

thats a thought! but would people buy just the spear tip? and are people really intrested in that?

thanks!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Yari are the traditional japanese spears.

They are the same cross section as that shiv of yours, some have a fuller on the bottom of the triangle.

I have a martial arts guy with all sorts of connections that wants me to do some.

He does all of the wooden weapons (bo, tonfa, the big fighting oars, so on..) And he would make the shafts, so it seems like a sweet deal.

Either way, he sees the lack of hand made, well executed yari nowadays.

If you want something that is functional, he says the only option in this time is to go to paul chen...

I was going to do a few out of W1, I was just waiting to get my power hammer running. The thought of drawing that tang out of 1" round W1....

Most of the antiques have had the tangs cut down to around 6 inches, to be mounted as art peices, but the idea with the tang runs real close to that of the naginata. Real long.

I want to find someone local with an antique yari that I can closely examine. right now all I have to go off of are pictures. I was even thinking about e-bay-ing one...

Either way, I have only seen a few done recently, and while i have not researched heavily, it seems like a starved market.

Good luck

Mike Lambiase

Mike Lambiase

Burning Man Forge

hey..

i googled "yari spear" and came up with a few old ones.. like this one:

http://www.trocadero.com/Sunnytampa/items/...item709825.html

if you were looking for a real one. but if they just want the spear head... wow.. that does sound like a sweet deal.. for sure.

i assume you would be making it out of 1" w1 becuase that is how wide the widest part is.. right?

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

I would gladly buy just the blade from you and make my own shaft. I know several others who would do the same. My Sensei from when I lived in Alaska was looking everywhere for a yari that was not a Paul Chen. That would be a great market for you I think. Since you have a great handle on shape and cross section of a yari you are well on your way. Trust me I know several guys around that would buy from you. Super knife btw.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

what kind of things does someone look for in a yari? i mean i dont know what is required. i can do blade shap and all that.. thats cool.. but what bout the collar where it meets the wood? how about the tang? and all that... well.. if there is a market i might ahve to persue that.

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

You might try "The Master Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. He has a chapter on spear making and he shows the yari as an example of a tanged spear head.

Doug Lester

P.S. That's still one outstanding knife, it doesn't matter how the bevels are forged.

Edited by Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

That's Awesome. I'd sell it, if i'd made it.

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

I would be making it out of 1" W1 because that is what i decided would be the best size to order it in... And that was before my power hammer... I'm just a dumbass.

I think that there are several different types\ lengths of yari. They all have thier intended use.

I can give you this martial arts guys phone number, he knows what he wants and he has pictures. He lives in my area (not too far from your area) and he would buy your blades without second thought.

I am having him over today to look at some kama and katana that I have worked up for him. We shall see how he likes bainite...

I will send you a pm after our meeting.

Mike Lambiase

Mike Lambiase

Burning Man Forge

If anyone thinks that a symetrical double edge blade is easy to forge, give it a try some time. My first attempt just ended up with a design modification <_< . That is an outstanding job, Chris. I hope to be able to do as well someday soon. I just have to chase my demons back into the anxiety closet and get busy.

Doug Lester

You got that right!!! I have yet to perfect my single edged blades and I tried a double edged dagger. HA!!! We'll put that one on the back burner for a while. In the meantime, I'll just admire blades like this one. That is a fine looking piece!

Resident knife-maker-wannabe

Hey Chris

Lookin' real good! I actually thought you were trying out the yari waters with this one :D . How do you blacken your copper? I haven't found a method that doesn't include some funky chemicals that I don't want to deal with.

Thanks

Matt

whoops! sorry about the double edited post.

Edited by matt venier

hey!

sorry for the tardy reply, but i used aluminum blacking (avalible at a sporting goods store) and it blackens up real nice.. it has a kinda goldy tint to it still.. i am looking to get some real copper blacking here in a bit.. but the aluminum stuff works fine for me.

well i had seen yari before and liked them.... and that did influence this one a bit. however what imfluenced it as well as Don Fogg's shivs, as well as the Cold steel "urban dart"

btw.. for those intrested, i am going to repolish the blade to take out some of the scratches that are bothing me and i made a wooden sheath for it, and will be putting it up for sale here in the next few day for 450

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

This knife is now up for sale in the "for sale" area.. i got off work early and i have no school..

yay!

thanks yall!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg