"Shiv" dagger with redwood burl and Hamon

Chris Moss

That is a pretty frikkin' cool cheath, not really carryable but would look NICE on a desk or shelf.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

wow.. thanks Don! i dont know if you saw them or not, but the pictures i took and posted in the "for sale" area are of the knife after i repoilished it, and the hamon is 10X better.

it also has a sheath.

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

Hey Chris what kind of grinder do you use?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

i got a Bader BIII 2 Hp variable speed grinder. well. rather.. my parents got it for me because they dont have to pay a penny for my education... and i got an apprentichip with NASA... i am very apprecitive. *grins* and it works beautifully, though i am just beginning to realize it's potential.

what kind do you use? you do a good bit of sword work.. how do you hog through the steel? or is it mostly forged to to very close? do you use drawfiling? i seem to do alot of that.. and of course.. finishing is by hand

thanks so much

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

great looking blade , real eye candy!!!

I have never been able to get W1 to show a harmon that well , I'm evnious of you!!!

I have used a fast oil , maybe water is the trick,

nice work!

~Mike~

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

i used Parks #50 on W1 and it seemed to work real nice too. real strong clean line. i like it much better than the 10XX series.

thanks for the compliment.. i have had wonderful insiration

thanks

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

i got a Bader BIII 2 Hp variable speed grinder. well. rather.. my parents got it for me because they dont have to pay a penny for my education... and i got an apprentichip with NASA... i am very apprecitive. *grins* and it works beautifully, though i am just beginning to realize it's potential.

what kind do you use? you do a good bit of sword work.. how do you hog through the steel? or is it mostly forged to to very close? do you use drawfiling? i seem to do alot of that.. and of course.. finishing is by hand

thanks so much

~Chris

AHHHHHHHH i see:D. You are EXTREMELY lucky to have a machine like that! Apprenticeship with NASA? that sounds very cool apprentice to do what? The 2HP variable speed Bader is one of the best most versatile machines out there. I am soon to be getting his brother the KMG. I have used however until my KMG arrives a Bader Space Saver at my teacher's shop. You can see a picture of him blunting a sword at this link:

http://www.odinblades.com/About%20Page/grinder.jpg

He runs his grinder a bit *different* than most, but very effective. I do mostly forge very close to final shape though, so it really only needs a descaling and grind out the little pits from the forging. I don't do draw filing, but have lately been wanting to try at it after i had heard Don say how much nicer using a file to shape is as opposed to the grinder.

wow... thats so cool to have somebody teach you this stuff! How did you get a teacher?

right now i am a Technician Co-Op Apprentice at NASA.. i am being taught to nake build develop things.. and they are paying for my degree too. i thought about getting a KMG as well.. however i was swayed by J.P. Tomes... who told me i really should go with the BIII and Alot of the people who's work inspires me use them.. Jesus Hernadez, Don Hanson... J.P Tomes..

i am just getting better at forging to shape. so i am doing less and less grinding, however, i think that it would be very difficult to do exclusive grinding or exclusive filing.. but grinding takes the scale off that the file has a harder time "biting" and it also give a better "straight" tot he face of the blade that the file then cleans up soooo much better.. however... if you were to just file i would be more difficult without that original "flat" the grinder gives you.

here is a blade i just finished filing.. plus it give the blade a great texture for clay adhesion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Knifemaker87/W2ShobuZukuri?pli=1

thanks for the insight

~chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

John lives about an hour away, and my friend John (another John) from New Jersey had said i ought to look him up and gave me his site. I emailed him if it would be ok to come over for a visit and he said yes, i loaded up my truck full of forged blades and stuff and took a ride over. I was entirely self taught with blades, as John recognised:D. I asked if it would be ok to come over again and from then on it became a weekly thing. Used to be 2 days a week but i have a student now and only 2 days off from the week day job, so i am down to only one day working together with John. He is an amazing craftsman, artist and cool dude i feel very lucky to have met and work with him.

That NASA gig sounds awesome! Congratulations on that, must be CONSTANTLY fascinating. I agree the grinder helps to get everything roughed out perfectly for filing, that scale layer can sometimes be such a PITA to remove with anything other than a nice fresh 60 grit:). getting everything flat with just a file is tricky, i am a bit too impatient just yet for that, a couple passes on the platen or wheel THEN it is time for filing hehe. I cannot wait to get my KMG, i have a pile of forged blades sitting here ready to be worked and a bunch of ideas banging on the door:D. That little wak is coming along VERY nicely! the file texture is like VELCRO to clay. I hope to one day get to be able to forge VERY close to final shape, and keep everything so smooth without hammer marks or scale pits, and all that is essentially needed is a polish. I wat to try the japanese water forging thing, always dipping the hammer and wetting the anvil with each heat and sometimes during a heat, i saw in a video on youtube i think of a smith doing so and caught a glimpse of the forged blade. Those bevels lines were SO SHARP, and the surface of the steel was eerily smooth, like he was hammering on a ground blade already.

Would like to get together and hammer some time Chris

Sam

Edited by Sam Salvati