the wife

wannabeswordsmith

There should be a thread on here about the best excuses to use for the wife (or husband ladies) for those honeydo's that seem to get in the way of hammering steel. What do most of you use to get time away when the wife is standing there with her hands on her hips???

Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

Time away from the wife? :huh:

I'm not married (yet :mellow: ) and would give an awful lot of time forging for a little time with my fiancee (even if it ment fixing drains and stuff), Kind of a tough situation, but as C.S Lewis said "We must take the adventure that comes to us."

Ben, who would love to trade problems, but not lives ;)

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

I was semi being funny, (and for the married guys out there... sort of not). Ha. Just seems like when I am just about to get something to the point I want it to.... "Honey, I can't get the Dish network to come on, Come see if you can".. or something similar. No, No, Ben I love my wife, I was just checking to see what crazy ways or excuses guys might conjure up to get out of the house when they know there is a list on her mind a mile long.

Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

What do most of you use to get time away when the wife is standing there with her hands on her hips???

Oh Man! You are in soooo muuuch trouble. Better put some money aside for flowers, chocolate, or jewelry. Whatever it takes. I tend to try get my forging in late at night when everyone else is asleep or early in the morning before they are moving around. I could do it during the day and piss my wife off, but then I'd still be losing sleep!

Seriously though, take care of the HoneyDo List FIRST, if you don't she'll just think that your projects are more important to you than she is, and you DO NOT want that. On the other hand if she is going out of her way to find stuff for you to do then better get it worked out NOW. Waiting will only make it worse.

Now if only I could apply what I said myself!

Bruce

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

when she says her kitchen cutlery is dull, then instead of takeing the whetstone to them...throw em out! and make a new set! gets you in the shop and takes care of all the old problems from the old set of cutlery. then after a few days bring them in to hugs and kisses and a great dinner!

God Bless

Kenneth

just make sure the new pareing knife edge geometry is dead on, so it will peel taters! lol i left it a bit thick in cross section, had to take it and fix it. but again another reason for the shop!

At my first knife show, I took Patty (SWMBO), Josh and Rocky (Replacement units) to dinner at an upscale restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona. (That's the only kind of eatery they have in that town, BTW.) I paid for from the profits of the day and still had a lot left over. Since she knows I'm the kinda guy who always gets the honeydews did, she never interrupts me now as I whang away at hot steel.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

If I knew the answeres to such deep questions as that, I'd probably still be married...or maybe not. <_< On second thought...na, no way :P .

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Tell her one she knows ALL ABOUT, tell her you have a headache;).

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

One thing I never do is refer to my bride of 25 years as "the wife".

It's a surefire way to get in hot water. She does encourage me to

get to work in the shop, supports me in buying new tools and is my

closest friend. Life is good.

It only took two marriages to find her. Best thing I ever did.

Sam, you're such a cynic. Heh, heh!

Bill

One thing I never do is refer to my bride of 25 years as "the wife".

It's a surefire way to get in hot water. She does encourage me to

get to work in the shop, supports me in buying new tools and is my

closest friend. Life is good.

It only took two marriages to find her. Best thing I ever did.

Sam, you're such a cynic. Heh, heh!

Bill

Bill, I hope to one day have a wife like you! Not even a GF now.........i am slackin'.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Bill, I hope to one day have a wife like you! Not even a GF now.........i am slackin'.

Hey Sam,

If you really want a wife like Bill, Maybe you are in the wrong part of the country. Come out here to Southern California, or better yet, San Francisco and I bet you could find a whole bunch of guys like Bill who would marry you. Happy hunting.

Tony G

Geez Tony,

I'd make a really lousy wife. :blink:

Sam, If you're really lucky you'll get to meet someone like

Aline.

And for crying out loud stop giving Tony openings for good? one-liners. :lol:

Bill

I was a Young Man (Traditional.)

I was a young man, I was a rover,

Nothing could satisfy me but a wife

Soon as I reached the age of twenty,

Weary was I of the single life

The very first year me wife I married,

Out of her company I could not stray

Her voice as sweet as a lark or a linnet,

Or the song of the nightingale at break of day

Now she's fairly altered her meaning,

Now she`s fairly changed her tune

Nothing but scolding comes from her mouth

A poor man's labor's never done

The very first year me wife I married,

Scarce could I get one half hours sleep

With her two knees she rubbed my shins,

Says husband dear put down your feet

The baby cried, she bitterly scolded,

Out of the door I was forced for to run

Without trousers, hat or a waistcoat,

A poor man's labor is never done

I went up to the top of the hill,

To view my sheep that had all gone astray

When I came back she was lying in her bed,

At twelve o'clock on a summer's day

When I came back both wet and weary,

Weary and wet now where could I run

She was lying in her bed, the fire right beside her,

Says young man is the kettle on

I'll go home to my aged mother,

She'll be sitting all alone

Says there's plenty young women to be had,

Why should I be tied to one

All young men that is to marry,

Don't, they'll grieve you evermore

Death, o death come take my wife,

And then my troubles will all be o'er

just a thought, Im a little bit young to be married just yet but I find you can dodge a person by telling them you're working on something special for them.. Persist that you cannot tell them while you frantically think up something quick and easy to beat out.. (personal favorite, Iron daisies with thorned stems) never fails..

Or just hammer late at night.. works too I guess.

Adlai, mein sohn, are you back from the UK?

YOU BET HE IS AND BETTER HURRY UP WITH ALL THOSE PICTURES;).

It was an incredible trip. I took over 700 pictures and I'm still sorting through through them. Unfortunately most of the Japanese pics from the V&A didn't come out well since it was so dark however most the Museum of Londo stuff came out beautifully. Hopefully this weekend I'll get them posted to my web page. I've posted a few in the Photography Forum http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?sh...st=0#entry79999

Edited by Adlai Stein

Adlai

Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives