viking leafblade

Andy Davis

Hey everyone, been quite a while since we've last posted anything.

this is my most recent.

I guess this should really be called a "Nordic leafblade" or even a "halflings leafblade"!... Obviously not a historic "Viking" design, but really elements were inspired by traditional Viking weaponry.

this is a 1075 blade with mild steel guard and pommel, copper wire inlay, and maple handle.

this was just playing around and having fun with designs, not really worrying to much about trying to make a copy of something else.

But we are actually going to be taking a good deserved break from original mythic/fantasy/Nordic styled blades for a while and try our hands at some exact historically accurate reproductions which should be interesting to see.

Hope you like! please share your comments/critique/ideas they would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks!

halflingsword1zm9.jpg

halflingsword2dc2.jpg

Edited by MADDwarfAndy

"Behold, I have created the Blacksmith that bloweth the coals on the fire, and brings forth an instrument for his work" Isaiah 54:16

www.MADdwarfWorkshop.com

Well, I can't say that I ever saw anything like it cataloged in Peterson's or Oakeshott's books but I have to admit that I do like the looks of it. Seems like it would be just right for some short little feller with real hairy feet to go on an adventure with. The ruens are a nice touch.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Very cool blade.

Great job on it.

I'm wanting to do some tolkien inspired work, been watching a lot of the special features on the disks.

Watching it all just makes me wish they'd do the Dark Elf books to the same quality and scope as the LotR movies. They'd be great.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Well done! keep it up guys you are doing great.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Nice!

Not Viking, but still cool. B)

The inlay work shows a lot of promise, keep it up!

;)

yeah I know, Im going to just call it a "Halfling Sword" obviously not trying to claim it as a historic viking piece, just inspired off the style.

Thanks for the kind words :)

"Behold, I have created the Blacksmith that bloweth the coals on the fire, and brings forth an instrument for his work" Isaiah 54:16

www.MADdwarfWorkshop.com

I love it. That's always been my favorite kind of guard, too.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Andrew Davis.. You know how much I love that thing.

your work is always bloody rad brother!... are'nt ya glad you have a friend like me to tell you what your doing wrong durring the entire process of making it, only for it to turn out perfect in the end... :lol:

And those pics are nice to!! wonder who took them??? ;)

hahaha

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

thnaks everyone for the comments,. and thanks Dave for the pictures ;)

but i have one COMPLETELY hypothetical question. say a 17 year old kid made a sword... and lets say he worked really hard on it and made sure he annealed, hardened, tempered, ground, and polished everything to the best of his ability, (which might not be much compared to many other bladesmiths here...)

so what do you think would be a reasonable price to sell the peice this kid made?

so what do you think i should do? i'm not TOO attached to this piece, and i MIGHT want to sell it if someone were to ask to buy it, so i'm trying to find a price.

if you need more details on anything that might change your estimate let me know.

M

Andy

D

www.MADdwarfWorkshop.com

thnaks everyone for the comments,. and thanks Dave for the pictures ;)

but i have one COMPLETELY hypothetical question. say a 17 year old kid made a sword... and lets say he worked really hard on it and made sure he annealed, hardened, tempered, ground, and polished everything to the best of his ability, (which might not be much compared to many other bladesmiths here...)

so what do you think would be a reasonable price to sell the peice this kid made?

so what do you think i should do? i'm not TOO attached to this piece, and i MIGHT want to sell it if someone were to ask to buy it, so i'm trying to find a price.

if you need more details on anything that might change your estimate let me know.

M

Andy

D

Maybe it's not as good as "many others bladesmiths." I can't say. But I can say that I like the piece. I can't help you on price, or even offer to buy it at this time, but I would like to be putting out that work already.

17? You mean like less than half my age? I wish I could have started at that age. Keep it up and many bladesmiths will envy your work one day.

Resident knife-maker-wannabe