New guy here

Rick_Tatum

Hello folks,

I've had the itch for some time to try my hand at bladesmithing. Not a desire to do it as an occupation, but rather for personal satisfaction. I hope to be up and running with a forge in the next couple of months. I'm a pretty skilled craftsman with wood...been making traditional/primitive archery tackle for 20+ years and adding some skill in metalwork to that seems to be a natural progression. I look forward to browsing through the information here and picking the brains of all you folks.

Hello folks,

I've had the itch for some time to try my hand at bladesmithing. Not a desire to do it as an occupation, but rather for personal satisfaction. I hope to be up and running with a forge in the next couple of months. I'm a pretty skilled craftsman with wood...been making traditional/primitive archery tackle for 20+ years and adding some skill in metalwork to that seems to be a natural progression. I look forward to browsing through the information here and picking the brains of all you folks.

Rick,

Don't do it ! I repeat, don't do it. Bladesmithing is a form of mental illness. Once you catch this illness you can never be cured. There is no turning back. You will think about knife making all day, and dream about it at night. And as your knives get better the addiction gets stronger. You will be doomed, I tell you, DOOMED!!!

Have a nice day.

Rick,

Don't do it ! I repeat, don't do it. Bladesmithing is a form of mental illness. Once you catch this illness you can never be cured. There is no turning back. You will think about knife making all day, and dream about it at night. And as your knives get better the addiction gets stronger. You will be doomed, I tell you, DOOMED!!!

Have a nice day.

LOL It's all too true, welcome to the forums. Check out the stickies at the top of the page, alot of really helpful information and alot of really helpful, nice people here

Welcome:D

an artist is not ahead of his time, he is his time. its just that the others are behind the times

Be warned!! Once you start on the path of the bladesmith, forever will it control your destany.

No you don't have to be crazy to be a bladesmith, but it does help. Welcome onboard.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Sounds like you were one of us before you knew it....your fate is sealed!

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp