Camera Selection

B. Norris

I inherited my photographic skills from my grandmother. We can always tell her photographs because they are the ones with a thumb in them. Kidding aside, I know nothing about cameras and I do not want to have to read through a 200 page manual to be familiar with my new camera. I am looking for a new digital camera, something simple that will do what I need it to.

Here is what it will get used for: My wife and I sell on Ebay and use the camera to photograph our goods. I also post photographs to this forum and others. I would like to be able to take decent close up photographs of my knives and jewelry. Other than that we would use it for getting pictures of the kids and friends.

My old camera had many shortcomings that I wish to avoid with a new camera: It had a pronounced lag between the button being pushed and the photograph being taken. I want a camera that takes the picture when I push the button - not a second or two later. The previous camera would take a picture larger than the image visible in the viewfinder. It seems a small thing yet, it was aggravating as hell. Other than that I am looking for a camera that has a decent storage capacity as well as long battery life.

The only other consideration is price. I am hoping for something less than $200. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bruce

Edited by B. Norris

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

dpreview.com <- just about every digital camera made in the last decade. Reviews, price and function comparisons. It's where I've gone to research my last 3 digital cameras. I generally buy from Abe's of Maine because of their prices and their customer service has been awesome.

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

Hi Bruce as Kristopher has said http://www.dpreview.com/ is a great place to read up on cameras. The problem is $200 ain't going to get you much of a camera. Also this is the best place I have found to get camera equipment http://www.bhphotovideo.com/, just to give an idea we shoot a Canon 30D and us the best glass we can get. we just bought a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens that we saved $500 on buying it at B&H over the local guy. There is an outfit that sells used equipment that has been certified but the name is escaping me at the moment I will post it when I remember.

Mike Turner

http://www.turnerknives.com

Thanks guys! Yeah, I know $200 won't buy much of a camera but, on the other hand, when my lovely wife or beautiful children BREAK it I won't feel quite so upset. Were I single a more expensive camera would be an option.

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Bruce,

last week I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 to photograph items for my wife's ebay business. It works a treat for our needs, even tho the shutter can lag from time to time. Then again, I didn't see any other camera getting close for its price. Did I mention it cost us less than 100 with a 2GB memory card? ;)

Michael

Bruce-

We just picked up a used Panasonic Lumix FZ7 off fleabay for $180 (with wide & tele conversion lenses). I was holding out for a Sony or Canon, but we couldn't pass up the deal. And it got real good reviews on all the photog sites. The ultra-zoom point & shoot cameras can't be beat for versatility - the simple mode takes great pics all by itself, or you can go to full manual & set everything yourself to do the jazzy, artsy studio type stuff. It's got a lot of features packed into a small, light body, some I'll use a lot & some not so much, but it's nice to know they're there. It's not a pocket camera, but my last camera was a Nikon FM2, so, for me, it's a dream to carry around. Just my $.02...

randy

"Despereaux?"

"Yes...?"

"You didn't cower."

"It looks like a sword."

"It's a CARVING KNIFE!"

"It's BEAUTIFUL..."

"It's DANGEROUS!"

"Do... do you have any more?"

Does anyone have experience with the Fujifilm S3000 digital camera? I have a friend who has outgrown hers and this one is available. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Bruce

Does anyone have experience with the Fujifilm S3000 digital camera? I have a friend who has outgrown hers and this one is available. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Bruce

Bruce, I have used the s3000 many times, it's a great camera all around, but for less than $200 you can pick up the s700 now.

you can't go wrong with the s700, my step mom just got one and loves it, picture quality is great and along with other great features you get macro capability.

I picked up a canon S5 IS a few months ago, it's a killer camera, highly recommended, but quite a bit more money.

Steve

Most of the stuff on my website and *all* of the recent stuff has been shot with a $150 digital I got my wife as a throw away camera for her birthday. IMO, if you have serious skills as a photographer and can use all the bells, buttons, and whistles (as well as specialized lenses) then you should buy as much camera as you can for the money. If you don't have the skills then a cheap camera in the 2 megapixel range will allow you to train yourself and learn what skills you really need.

If you are doing primarily web publishing (like posting pix of knives and such online) you will limit the size and compress them anyway so buying a 6 megapixel with changeable lenses would be nice but you can get great pix without that.

The camera will not make a photographer. It can only limit the extent of your ability. My advice is to buy one that won't break the bank but that you feel has all the buttons and stuff in a place that you find comfy. If you go to Best Buy or a place like that you can actually take a few pictures and look at them to see how it works for you.

Brian

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."

- Lyle E. Schaller

http://home.mchsi.com/~hermits/BrianRVanSp..._Edged_Art.html

Costco offers some good deals on digital cameras. You might want to try there.

Good luck,

Jeff

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." Conan

There are rules for learning the art:

1. Think of what is right and true.

2. Practice and cultivate the science.

3. Become acquainted with the arts.

4. Know the principles of the crafts.

5. Understand the harm and benefit in everything.

6. Learn to see everything accurately.

7. Become aware of what is not obvious.

8. Be careful even in small matters.

9. Do not do anything useless. Miyamoto Musashi

Taz - Best friend, Great dog and a member of my family.

Rest in Peace June 15, 2006

Bruce

That's what I've had for about 4 years now and I absolutely love it, and I'm dreading replacing it in the future.

It has a good lens, better than most of the compacts, all though none of the extras all the cameras have now.

Personaly I think if you can get it for a good price you'd be happy with it for what you're planning to do.

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

My friend dropped it off yesterday and said "Merry Christmas!" I am having trouble getting pictures from the camera to my computer. She does not have any of the disks that came with the camera and informed me I could just download the software. I have done so with the USB drivers but, still not working. I have an existing photo program that came with the computer, from Dell. I think I need a viewer that is capable of handling RAW data from the camera but, I do not know for sure and I'm getting fed up with the whole thing. Does anyone know of a particular graphics program that will work? I will check with my friend to see what she was running.

My friend dropped it off yesterday and said "Merry Christmas!" I am having trouble getting pictures from the camera to my computer. She does not have any of the disks that came with the camera and informed me I could just download the software. I have done so with the USB drivers but, still not working. I have an existing photo program that came with the computer, from Dell. I think I need a viewer that is capable of handling RAW data from the camera but, I do not know for sure and I'm getting fed up with the whole thing. Does anyone know of a particular graphics program that will work? I will check with my friend to see what she was running.

DOn't get frustrated, they are good cameras and for the price, ya did real good, you just need an image capture that'll work with it. IF you ask Her what she used, you can likely download the same of the net somewhere for free.

I *may* still have the cd that came with mine around here somewhere, if I can find it, I'll send it to you.

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

B.Norris,

Open the menu on the camera and check to see if the PNP( plug and play) option is checked.If you have Windows XP and the PNP is checked, Windows will open a dialog box with options to download the data from the camera to your computer.You can then use whatever photo editing program you have.

Thank you all for your responses!

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce,

I love my Canon Power Shot A620, the swivel LCD screen really comes in handy for shooting pictures of parts and blades on a table. I used it to shoot all the pics for my company's new parts catalog, worked perfectly.

Skal!

Jens

• 3 months later...

I highly recommend the Nikon CP-4500 for ebay/auction/small-product photography - it is so superior to anything else I ever used and has a better charger that the 995.

I originally choose a Nikon 995 because it gave best, very impressive, results in proguct-photography - PARTICULARLY in macro (close-up) mode and the swivel head offered ease-of-use in all interior conditions. I eventually upgraded to a Coolpix 4500 for a little more resolution and after many thousands of images (10,000+) I notice the 995 focus mechanism is getting a little noisy.

My 995 cost $1000+ (new) and the 4500 cost $150 (used) with teleconverter and WA lenses (which) I rarely use.

My ONLY criticisms of these cameras are that:

1) in automatic-mode, they need good lighting and still you may neet to brighten images in an editor (we use Paint-Shop-Pro V7~9).

2) the propitary battery is expemsive and re-charging is somewhat slow compared with some later models.

The CP-4500 must be almost give-away on ebay by now?

For ALL other needs I use a Canon A640 which has PC direct management software like their SLR cameras - it is OK in macro ONLY besause it has the extra resolution and you can 'crop' images after the event and thereby get results similar to the 995/4500

I inherited my photographic skills from my grandmother. We can always tell her photographs because they are the ones with a thumb in them. Kidding aside, I know nothing about cameras and I do not want to have to read through a 200 page manual to be familiar with my new camera. I am looking for a new digital camera, something simple that will do what I need it to.

Here is what it will get used for: My wife and I sell on Ebay and use the camera to photograph our goods. I also post photographs to this forum and others. I would like to be able to take decent close up photographs of my knives and jewelry. Other than that we would use it for getting pictures of the kids and friends.

My old camera had many shortcomings that I wish to avoid with a new camera: It had a pronounced lag between the button being pushed and the photograph being taken. I want a camera that takes the picture when I push the button - not a second or two later. The previous camera would take a picture larger than the image visible in the viewfinder. It seems a small thing yet, it was aggravating as hell. Other than that I am looking for a camera that has a decent storage capacity as well as long battery life.

The only other consideration is price. I am hoping for something less than $200. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bruce

Edited by alandnz