Sign in to follow this  
Sam Salvati

Treadle hammer build photos

Here is a couple shots of the treadle hammer i built in process, some are more fun and funny than technical, though i tried to get as many shots of the actual working parts and process as possible. been working with the treadle a bit more, for seperate tooling with chisels punches and stamps it is an unequaled tool, makes using hand tooling WORLDS easier. Not too great though sadly for forging of hot steel, for the hammer head weight and size of dies, the force is not focused enough to do sufficiently efficient work. Though I will try and make up another set of dies with a small 1 inch wide by 4 inch long work surface which should work a bit better. Well here's the pictures:). Sorry for that censored one, my friend thought he would give our little personal salute, no offense meant me and him(and my family) just do that, you should see my prom pictures hehe. Comments and critque welcome.

9.JPG

30.JPG

12.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

13a.JPG

5.JPG

1.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

10.JPG

19.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

8.JPG

15.JPG

24.JPG

16.JPG

25.JPG

28.JPG

31.JPG

33.JPG

26.JPG

14.JPG

32.JPG

15.JPG

20.JPG

34.JPG

Treadle_hammer_build_2.JPG

Treadle_hammer_build_3.JPG

Treadle_hammer_build_4.JPG

Edited by Sam Salvati

thanks for sharing your pictures and good luck with your new machine !:)

thanks for sharing your pictures and good luck with your new machine !:)

Wow. I gotta make me one of these. What do you figure your hammer weight is on that?

I figure the head weight is about 25-30 pounds, it's roughly 2 and a half feet of 2 inch square 1/4" thick wall, with a 4 by 4 plate 3/8ths thick, another 4 by 4 plate 1/4 thick, and a block of 4 inch long 2 inch square solid plus 4 nuts and bolts. Whatever that weighs, i guess around 25-30 hehe.

Thanks Matt! it works great, not so great as i would like for forging hot steel, but for tooling like setting shoulders with a guillotine tool, chiseling, punching, hot cutting, straightening(a light hit with perfectly aligned dies to striaghten a blade works VERY well), again not for much hard forge work, more a lighter controlled touch. Have not yet tried it but it will no doubt be GREAT for applying the touchmark!

Why does the hammer not work so well for forging? Not heavy enough? Die shape? Leg strength? I'm curious, as you're the first I've heard complain that a treadle hammer isn't good for what you'd think it would be good for.

HAHA certainly not leg strength:). You know Chris, it might be one of two things. It is decidably light compared to some of the larger hitters out there, so that might be it, with a large die set for it's size (2"x4"), they are flat faced also not radiused or heavily radiused. I have been advised to try feeding in only a small amount of metal instead of alot, only like 3/8" at a tim instead of 1". I will also try putting a radius on the dies, to see if focusing the force a bit more will do more work, or make a set of dies 1"x4". Might be a bit of the design. But also, i have likewise thought that they are essentially foot powered power hammers, but it is not so. They are largely used for tooling, not so so much for hard forging but for use of chisels, punches, in lay, spring dies and stuff. That is why most have a square hole on the base for hardy type tools instead of dies like mine. I built mine like this to see if i could use it for toned down power hammer style work, hence the dies. But i find it much more useful for tooling, which means it would more be suited for a wide flat plate on the bottom and wide flat plate for the top.

So... a heavier head, and more aggresive dies would probably move metal better?

My problem is, I'm in a small shop (10x14 wood shed, powered for 110v... lights and a hand tools) and I'm wanting to do more than my arm and part-time status really allows. I really want a press, but until I save up a few thousand for it, something like this might just be the ticket. If I can find a proper hammerhead piece and cobble the frame up with my welder, it could open up my work to where my mind is, but my hand hammer isn't.

So... a heavier head, and more aggresive dies would probably move metal better?

My problem is, I'm in a small shop (10x14 wood shed, powered for 110v... lights and a hand tools) and I'm wanting to do more than my arm and part-time status really allows. I really want a press, but until I save up a few thousand for it, something like this might just be the ticket. If I can find a proper hammerhead piece and cobble the frame up with my welder, it could open up my work to where my mind is, but my hand hammer isn't.

I would say so yes. Also, beneficial is a "spring" to the action, i can sort of describe it as, you press down the pedal then the hammer ram engages, with a lag.

A funny coincidence, i built mine for exactly the same reasons Chris. No doubt with a heavy radius, maybe a solid hammer head and a bit of pipe and you could weld up one that would do a heck of a job fairly easily. GOOD LUCK CHRIS!

Edited by Sam Salvati

Looks awsome Sam ! I rather have a tired arm then a worn out leg but hey the build looks great. :rolleyes:

really though...I am going to have to build one of these before march.

Edited by Matt Stagmer of BKS

Looks awsome Sam ! I wrather have a tired arm then a warn out leg but hey the build looks great. :rolleyes:

really though...I am going to have to build on of these b4 march.

Hey Guy's,

I have a treadle with a 65# head. I have a combo die set on it. Half flat and half 3" diameter round. I've found the same problem. It doesn't really move a lot of metal. One of the guys on the forum makes damascus with his and draws it out very nicely. I'm at a loss for his name now. Chalk that up to old age and a bad case of CRS. However he has 1" round for drawing out and I believe he said it was a lot of work. But I take it from this that smaller dies to concentrate the impact force and feeding it less hot steel at a time might be the way to get the most out of a treadle hammer. Your right Sam. It's not a foot powered power hammer. Thats what I was hoping for when I got mine. Wish I could have a power hammer, but I don't think the nieghbors would put up with that. I need to get my press finished.

Tony G

• Like 1

Looks awsome Sam ! I rather have a tired arm then a worn out leg but hey the build looks great. :rolleyes:

really though...I am going to have to build one of these before march.

I just like how the leg tires much later than the arm:D.

Hey Guy's,

I have a treadle with a 65# head. I have a combo die set on it. Half flat and half 3" diameter round. I've found the same problem. It doesn't really move a lot of metal. One of the guys on the forum makes damascus with his and draws it out very nicely. I'm at a loss for his name now. Chalk that up to old age and a bad case of CRS. However he has 1" round for drawing out and I believe he said it was a lot of work. But I take it from this that smaller dies to concentrate the impact force and feeding it less hot steel at a time might be the way to get the most out of a treadle hammer. Your right Sam. It's not a foot powered power hammer. Thats what I was hoping for when I got mine. Wish I could have a power hammer, but I don't think the nieghbors would put up with that. I need to get my press finished.

Tony G

Definately a finer radius will move more metal, i am going to have to try it out on mine.

OK, did some modifications, and I finally have the treadle running to it is actually capable of moving hot metal efficiently, instead of just smoothing the surface a bit hehe. If you look at the side profil pictures, then look at the following pictures you wuill see the modification to the actuator linkage location, as well as an added ram stop to keep it from slamming into the ram guides, and reinforced the lower lever so no more bending. Also made up a set of drawing dies from 1 1/4 round 1045, which work quite well. Chris, it now works sufficiently enough to make a difference, the key was increasing the mechanical advantage of the lever action on the top lever, that was the main key. Also a shot of some tooling sketches I did, an interchangeable hardy tool system and as well as a dishing tool. The only modification I see still left would be to pour lead in the ram tube, or fill it with sand or concrete, to make the whole assembly heavier, I have it down to only needing one spring, and can easily add the other if needed when I make the head heavier. I'll have my little hammer here at Ashokan, for the NBA and NEBG meets this year, if anyone would like to take a peek.

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

treadle_musings.JPG

Edited by Sam Salvati

Since my powerhammer project is currently on hold, I think I'll try my hand at building one of these. I very much appreciate the wasted work you've almost certainly saved me, Sam.

Thanks guys, Jziegenbien I have tons O fun with this hammer, works great.

Mackenzie, my pleasure I am thrilled I was able to help, if you have any questions feel free to ask.