2008 Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In and Smelt

Please consider joining us for the 2008 Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In and Smelt on March 21st.-23rd. 2008 in Historic Marriottsville, Maryland

The event will include Jesus Hernandez and Walter Sorrells running a smelt on Friday and working toward a finished blade (or 2?) over the weekend. Additional demonstrators and lectures will be happening all weekend. We will have forging on our power hammers all weekend as well as metal casting and metal spinning on our lathes. Event will be at our forge (Baltimore Knife and Sword Co.) and the Church/Studio next door (Fire and Brimstone Studio)

Additional confirmed demonstrators we will be working into the schedule include Kerry and Matt Stagmer, Christopher Price, Deker, Larry Nowicki and Paul Dubro of Legacy Forge. If you are a demonstrator or are planning to come and have something to share, please touch base as we would like to pack in as much information as possible for attendees.

We will be limiting attendance to 50 INCLUDING demonstrators. Registration will be $65 for the entire weekend to offset our costs. Vendors and tailgating is encouraged at no additional fee and will have separate parking, trailers allowed.

Please visit our site http://www.fireandbrimstone.com

The site includes accommodations, Schedule, and Artists/Demonstrators.

We will be updating the site often as we confirm additions to the event.

Edited by Kerrystagmer
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will be up to Jesus and Walter.....

I assume it will change in size and content based on information found here on these forums right up till the week before! I'm sure they will want to go larger only if confident on process and results. Space and setup time here are not a problem.

Several local attendees (and one from TX!) have already committed the week before to help with setup.

Is this going to be the big smelt that was being talked about doing in the other thread, a larger tatara run, or is that something seperate, regardless it sounds like fun.

Right now we are planning on the usual size furnace that we have known to work before. It will not be a big tatara but if I have time to prepare and test run a slightly larger model before hand we may go with a bit more scaled up version. In any case it should be a fine event with plenty of activities going to widen your knowledge and experience.

The problem with us doing a very large smelt here is getting all the materials in one place. A ton of ore can be had down in NC or WI, but getting it to Baltimore would be tough work for someone. Jesus and Walter are going to have their hands full enough carrying up the ore for a small furnace, plus their families and the rest of their gear. I am on brick duty, and looking for charcoal, to minimize the amount of stuff that needs hauling over long distances.

Sounds like for a larger run it'd be nice to run it closer to where the ore is then.

Definitely sounds like a fun event. I'll have to see if I can make plans to attend, always nice visiting new places.

John Larson of Iron Kiss Hammers will be bringing a 2008 model of his air hammer for demonstration.

Looking forward to being there. I think this should be fun. Everybody is talking about the smelt, but there will also be some top-notch smiths like Rick Barrett there, too. If you're just getting started with forging, events like this are really a great way to broaden your knowledge base.

I can not wait for this event. I am verrrry excited to see everyone in their element. I myself will be doing a blade grinding demo of some sort among other things. I havent figured out just what I will be doing but it will definitely be trick.

cheers!

Sword Swallower Dai Andrews will be joining us for the entire weekend!

He is an Artist, Magician and Blacksmith making his living sliding steel down his neck!

Dai will be giving us demonstrations of his amazing abilities as well as hanging out and smooching some metal.

Check his site out www.swordswallower.com

• 4 weeks later...

This is great. As someone who has been interested in bladesmithing for a long while now, and just now starting to build my first forge etc, this will be a great event to attend. PLUS! i live like 45minutes away! How awesome.

Registration information can be directly downloaded in Word format at http://www.baltimoreknife.com/brimstone/Re...ammerin2008.doc

We also have it on the site for cut and paste into emails or printing. visit http://www.fireandbrimstone.com

Anyone who has emailed me already I'll be emailing a link and you are at the top of the list. There is still additional space as of this posting. We will be posting this to larger forums later today so I do expect it to fill quickly

We will be updating the general information and adding a site map over the weekend

thanks!

Kerry

Edited by Kerrystagmer
  • 1 month later...

I have emailed the address given twice now. Once at the begining of Feb, and once just the other day, without any response. Can i assume that there is no more space available? This is rather sad, since i live only 30mins away and was looking forward to attending.

-Donovan

Actually there are still a couple spots, ive just been crushed and am behind on my emailing. There is both a PM here and and email waiting for you Donovan, Sorry!

I'm working an apprenticeship in downtown Baltimore at Hopkins Silver in the mornings, plus all the regular stuff. Its looking like a quite interesting time. There will be several very talented metalsmiths attending plus it now looks like Namu Cho will atttend at least a few days. Namu is a metalsmithing teacher who makes very fine patternwelded steel jewelry set with 22K gold and diamonds. Should be a nice mix of blacksmithing and metalsmithing knowledge floating around.

Kerry

I have recieved an email from Rick Barrett saying he will be unable to attend. Sounds like confusion with holiday plans and the family, something I'm sure we can all understand.

Is anyone else planning to camp out for this one? Between school and $7.00 an hour pretty much the only way I can justify the cost of this is if I don't have to play for a hotel as well. Actually, I could justify the cost at $1,000,000, I just need to convince my parents to sign the absent form for my school and let me buy the plane tickets. Basically, is anyone camping out with extra room in their tent? Cuz I'm pretty sure I can't bring one on a plane.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...