Forge time tommorrow

Sam Salvati

Going to mess about in the forge tommorrow, i finally have a bit of free time. Got some 1045 round bar, and some W1. I'll grab some pictures, some of the new forge working also. I hope to get some of Burton's 5160 also, i hope he has some left. I'd like to get some comments and critique on the rough forged blades, and where to go with them.

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Forgot about a commission i had to finish up, so i only had a chance to work the 1045, and i made a little tanto to test it out with water quenching and hamons and all that. I gorund to 120 with an angle grinder, then used the big stone wheel to take it up to a 350-400 grit! That stone works great! Cannot wait to try a big blade on it!

New_tanto_1.JPG

New_tanto_2.JPG

New_tanto_3.JPG

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

• 3 weeks later...

hey sam!

wow.. that looks awesome!

have you already hardened it? what kinda hamon does it get?

looks aweful nice for just being "knocked up"

keep it up!

~chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.