first carved handle

hi i'm working on a carved handle for a knife i'm making. it's my first one but i'm thinking of scraping it. while the carving itself is'nt too bad i'm not happy with the design. some inpu would be great though heres a link thankjs jeff

oh yea none of the fittings are finished yet and all of the ones on the butt are just blanks still.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/h...rplehart001.jpg

its the hind section of the stag that really bugs me. i'm pleased with the front but the rear end looks edgy and dosent seem too fit in properly with the rest of the design.....i dunno maybe i've been looking at the thing too long

While the design is not bad, it's difficult to "read" it. I think it's because of background. Pieces of background looks like part of an object or even independent objects. They are at same level as deer and edges are formed in same way. If you want a figure to stand out more, make a clear difference between it and background.

Hope it helps

Tõnu

hi i'm working on a carved handle for a knife i'm making. it's my first one but i'm thinking of scraping it. while the carving itself is'nt too bad i'm not happy with the design. some inpu would be great though heres a link thankjs jeff

oh yea none of the fittings are finished yet and all of the ones on the butt are just blanks still.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/h...rplehart001.jpg

I think it looks good from what I could see of the whole knife (pic cut out the blade..)

The carving reminds me of 'celtic'..'norse'??

I say 'norse' because I've seen simarlar montiffs on jewelry, carvings and some shields.

8th-1000th century.

Good work.

Josh