Don's damascus/welding forge

Protactical

I've been searching and searching for a thread a year or so back on a new forge design Don has come up with that deals better with flux. I seem to remember the deal was that it was covered in a book he had contributed to. Anyone know the book, the thread, or barring all else, anyone have a nominee for the perfect welding forge, on the smaller side prefered.

Try here http://www.dfoggknives.com/forge.htm This is Don Fogg's design. The concept can be scaled to the size desired. Fit an appropriately sized forced air burner and you are in business. Mine is based on a 7.5 gallon air tank. It's lined with 2 layers of inswool coated with Satanite and ITC-100. I built my burner according to Darren Ellis' design. Works great.

K

Are you talking about dealing with flux build up in the bottom of your forge? I put an inch of fire clay in the bottom of mine. I have welded in it for for about fine years now without having to replace it. Occasionally I have to chip out some of the built up flux. but the fire clay is still as good as the day I put it in. The flux dosen't bother it at all.

Dale

Thanks guys. I have a version of the vertical forge. I like atmospheric burners, but I may try Don's real version some day.

Here is the quote I was looking for:

"I realized that building the universal forge, one that was perfect for welding, forging, heat treating, and general forging was an impossible task, so in my shop I have many forges each built for each operation. They are all built off one basic design however and on this page I will lay out the design and construction of a basic forge."

"My welding forge is a scaled up version of this unit. Look for more information and photos in Scott Hardy's soon to be released Knifemakers Directory."

Scott Hardy never did finish as far as I know. The flux problems are right in front of the door where the flux drops off the billet. There are several products and solutions to flux dissolving the refractory. What I used was a rammable from Harbison Walker called Ruby AMC It is incredibly tough stuff. It was a bit expensive and several members have come up with other more cost effective and efficient materials to fix the problem. Hopefully we will continue the thread with some new information on what works. The floor can be handled many ways, kitty litter, loose refractorie, crushed firebrick etc. It has to be changed whenever it starts to build up and reduce the intensity of the fire, but other than that out of sight, out of mind.

Don Fogg

I bought Blade's Guide To Making Knives, thinking the forge stuff was in there. It's an excellent book with good articles all around, including an excellent one by Don on swords. I've been really slow getting around to a new welding forge so ideas are welcome.