Burr King from Blackjack Knives

I recently (yesterday) bought a Burr King belt grinder from a fellow on craigslist and am looking for a little info. It's a model #060200 (2" x 72"). It's in pretty good shape but is missing the platen arm (I'm assuming it had one at one time.) There is a sticker on it that says "Property of Blackjack knives, Effingham, IL). I looked them up and it (the web) said they went out of business in 1997 (I think that's what I read). The guy I bought it from said his Dad bought a duplex apartment and this was left in it. It's on a stand that uses a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower it, which I probably won't use, I may set it up on a bench. It came with a variable speed controller and (only) a 1/2 hp leeson motor. Can't wait to try it out. I've never used a belt grinder before.

If anyone has an old platen arm that might fit this machine and is willing to part with it, I may be willing to purchase, otherwise I guess I'll try to make my own.

I can take some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Andy

Here ya go Sam. Excuse the mess...

Yes, I was reading this page on the Engnath website.

http://www.engnath.com/public/grinder.htm

I need to figure out how I want to set this thing up. If I use it, as is, I'm going to need a pedestal or base or something. It's really low now and is at about the top of its extension height.

Not a bad score for a couple of Franklins.

This thing is heavy! I asked the guy on the phone how heavy it was and he said ohh, around 50 lbs (young fellah).

Again if anyone has any experience with this model or a good method of setting it up and or attaching a platen and rest for flat grinding, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Andy

BurrKingFront.jpg

BurrKingLeft.jpg

That looks GREAT! The problem with the height, i bet it is a bench mounted model with the stand and all, then raise and lower to your specs, or maybe there might have been more to the stand. Good luck with it grab some belts and try it out once you get it mounted.

I thought Burr King was back (they stopped making the knifemakers standard grinder for a while). Saw an ad in Blade for the 'ol 960. They might have platen arms available again.

Dan

It should have at least a 1 1/2 hp motor are you sure it is 1/2 hp. TruGrit sells BurKing and you can get any missing parts from them. I love mine, I have a 2 hp variable speed motor.

http://www.trugrit.com/knife-burr-king.htm

Edited by Mike Turner
It should have at least a 1 1/2 hp motor are you sure it is 1/2 hp. TruGrit sells BurKing and you can get any missing parts from them. I love mine, I have a 2 hp variable speed motor.

http://www.trugrit.com/knife-burr-king.htm

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its a 1/2 hp. Thats what the plate on the motor says and it looks a little small.

I'll give Trugrit a try and see if they have that part. It seems like that should be an easy thing to make, however.

This thing is so quiet (without belt) I might just put it in the basement-out of the cold.

Thanks again,

Andy

keep in mind I have a 1 1/3 HP leeson motor and twice I have tried to stall it and snapped the belts both times. I guess if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and like to mod things and try to get them to work go with a big ass motor. Otherwise as Mike mentioned anything over 1 1/2 HP is complete overkill IMHO.

Anyone that has the "Tim Taylor complex" must also have the bank account and mechanical know how to be able to pull it off.

keep in mind I have a 1 1/3 HP leeson motor and twice I have tried to stall it and snapped the belts both times. I guess if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and like to mod things and try to get them to work go with a big ass motor. Otherwise as Mike mentioned anything over 1 1/2 HP is complete overkill IMHO.

Anyone that has the "Tim Taylor complex" must also have the bank account and mechanical know how to be able to pull it off.

Yup, I'll definitely be running as is for a while. Though there is an electric motor repair place around here, maybe I can pickup a refurb or something down the line.

big ass motor in relation to the machine is what I was trying to get across.

Wouldnt want to waste your time with something like a 3\4 horse washing machine motor.

Get a farm\industry duty motor, something with lots of windings and poles, something you cant stop.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a member of cal knives and you still see some of bobs stuff surface

bobs air compressor is up for sale now

red st.cyr has it

a half hp motor may be ,well is light most come stock with a 2 or 1.5hp

Mike

As an update...

I've bought a few belts through Tru-grit, and got some part numbers for platen arms etc that I could use to flat grind (which is what I'm most interested in right now). The exploded view diagram PDF from the Burr King website is a big disappointment. Why would a company that makes such a nice product publish such a useless diagram (I think they photocopied a photocopy of an old photocopy). It's nearly impossible to read the part numbers. I think I may try to put a platen arm assembly together myself but I'm not sure how to go about it. I guess I need to sit and stare at it for a while. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of it in its new spot. I hope to be able to use the three bolt holes that I've circled in the second pic to mount the platen assembly and an adjustable angle workrest, to the grinder. This should be a simple thing to figure out but I'm a little unsure how to proceed. I'd like it to bolt together if possible (no welder). Has anyone here worked up something like this? If so would you have any pics of your setup?

As for the 1/2hp motor issue, I think I'll be using it this way for a while, but I'll definitely be looking out for a bigger motor to come my way. I haven't used it much at all but just messing around a bit today, it really seems to bog down.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and for any more info you might have to share.

Best,

Andy

Grinder_front.jpg

Grinder_side.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a week or so of flooded basement, I had a chance to get back to this today. Here's a couple of more pics of what I've come up with so far for a platen. It's a little crude but seems pretty sturdy. I plan to fasten a tool rest to the side of the angle iron. Maybe something that I can adjust the angle of, and lock in place.

It was fairly simple to make this. I did forge the thicker mounting bracket. The thinner (top) piece I just bent to shape in my new (to me) bench vise.

I'll post a picture of the toolrest when I've finished that.

benchvise.jpg

Platen1.jpg

Platen2.jpg

Looks pretty good, glad to see you found a way to get a flat platen on your grinder yourself.

Definatly find a way to put a shelf on the front, make it capable to swing away if necessary by loosening only one bolt. If you need to I can post a photo of mine to show you what I mean.

Chris

Andrew,

My Grizzly came with a 1&1/2 HP motor and I can EASILY bog it down during flat grinding. They are a chunk of change but, I suggest saving up for a 2 HP, or more, variable speed motor. They cost about twice as much as a non variable motor but, are worth it in my opinion. Congratulations on getting such a nice machine for so little.

~Bruce~

DJ, I was thinking of installing a ceramic liner, they are pretty inexpensive. I made the depth adjustable so I could glue one on and then push it out to where it just touches the belt. They really make that much of a difference in belt longevity?

Chris-

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your shelf setup if you find a few minutes to snap a pic for me. I think Wayne Goddard mentions a swing away toolrest in the "$50 Knife Shop". I need to look that up and see if there are any good pictures in there.

I think I'm really going to like having this machine. I used it yesterday to clean up a couple of older socket chisels that I picked up—makes it really easy. I also used it long enough yesterday, on a cable blade I forged out last summer, to realize that it isn't a magical tool that will give me perfect knives. It requires a good bit of skill and practice to get a flat grind on the bevel of a knife... I'm not retiring my files just yet.

Thanks

Andy

Sure hope you didn't throw away that hydraulic cylinder and mount... I would LOVE to be able to raise and lower my grinder at will! It's already too easy for grinder neck to set in with me!

That's 'cause you're 6'2" tall, but only 3" thick. :lol: You need to leave NABS and get yourself a rear-mounted counterweight. ;)

Andrew

Just saw your response to my offer to show a swing away shelf. I am at work so figured it would be easier to cad it than take a photo. I think you will get the idea,

loosen the screw and swing it away when you dont need it, the two bolts allow one to get shelf further or closer to wheel and yet keep the edge of the shelf parallel to the wheel.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Chris

sandershelf.jpg

Andrew

Just saw your response to my offer to show a swing away shelf. I am at work so figured it would be easier to cad it than take a photo. I think you will get the idea,

loosen the screw and swing it away when you dont need it, the two bolts allow one to get shelf further or closer to wheel and yet keep the edge of the shelf parallel to the wheel.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Chris

Thanks very much. Shouldn't be too hard to put together. I'm thinking of fixing this to the platen instead of to the wheel, as in your CAD drawing. Do most people grind blades directly on the contact wheel? Right now I'm mostly interested in making wooden plane blades, drawknife blades, etc...and I think flat platen grinding makes the most sense for that kind of work.

I still have the hydraulic cylinder and stand, It appears to be from a lift gate from a truck. The control valve appears to be broken and it also looks to have an attachment to connect to a compressor (which I don't have). I don't have any experience with these kinds of things so I'm not really sure how it even operates. I'm sure I'll figure it out with a little research and snooping, it's just been too darned cold to mess around in the garage...It may end up having another use one of these days.

I'll post another pic of what I come up with on the toolrest.

Thanks again.

Andy

Grinding directly on the wheel is called hollow grinding, some like it and some flat grind as it sounds like what you want to do.

I only showed it that way because thats how my grinder is set up. I think putting it on your platen sounds like the way to go IMO.

Just ensure you can swing away the shelf so you can use the whole platen to do something like flatten a blade etc.

PS Get a bullet heater or kerosene heater for the garage, thats how I can stand to work in my workshop during the winter.

Good luck with your new grinder.

Chris

Andrew, I'll take some pics of my Burr King 960 and see if that helps you. The "knifemaker's attachment" is a flat platen with a 2-3" wheel above and a 6-8" wheel below a flat platen. So it's a little more complicated than just buying a tooling arm or platen. Burr King has manuals available in PDF on their site. You're right, they're pretty bad. Their customer service is kinda funny, I emailed them a question that they forwarded to someone else who's manner of answering my question was to send me a flyer and instructed me to look at the picture for guidance. They make a great grinder but service is a little off.

I thought everyone had Burr Kings???? :D

If I can help in anyway let me know.

Will