Blacksmith arm wrestling

OK then,

who among us, uses power hammers? Yes, I'm jealous, but I bet I can beat any smith who uses a press or power hammer @ arm wrestling. Right handers on right handers, south paws on south paws.

Well, OK that does not prove anything, except rotator cuff problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, stone finger, etc.

At least us hammer jocks can boast after staggering home from the pub/bar.. :D

I recently discovered a lump in the palm of my right hand. My knuckles have become knarly and hairy. I cut my finger, and it "bled" fat! Yes, lard.

I beat steel with hammer, power hammer and a press. Last time I arm wrestled a guy I broke his arm :D , no kidding. So I try not to do that again. Being a farrier I make a lot of hand made shoes not to mention all the other metal pounding I do.

I don't have a power hammer, but i have friends with them, and i sure love when i can get a chance to work with them. I use a 60 something pound Kuhn hammer the most often, self contained air hammer.

Not to say i don't have an arm. I gotta good local reputation among smiths for bringing the hammer up high, hitting hard, and working with a sledge.

But.... the hammer i'd like to get before long is the SPH 60 that Tom Clark is selling. 135 pound self contained air. Watched one work at a conference and have heard a lot of good things about them.

Actually.....my real dream hammer is a giant, several hundred pound air hammer. Nazel, Chambersburg, Niles-Bement, Massy, Beche............

Stephen, what kind of hammer did you get?

Edited by Ty Murch
Last time I arm wrestled a guy I broke his arm
It's curiuos, it happened to me too; he got angry for this... So I began a bit less enthusiastic about neanderthal games; it's a pity since I'm not bad at all. I've never lost an index finger wrestling challenge (i call it ironfinger, I don't know if it has a name). Blacksmith usually has a huge grip strenght, and it is good for ironfinger challenges.

My sledge hammer weights about 8-9kg; its a powerful tool, I must take a pic of it.

ha! i'v smoked people hands down with my right arm but lost to the same person with my left. i've also injured my left arm from overpowering it during manual labour with my right..

I'm pretty sure that most of the gang on this forum have arms that weigh as much as I do! :unsure::blink::lol:

I'm pretty sure I could whip most 8th grader's asses at armwrestling, but I'd run from the challenge... :P

It's curiuos, it happened to me too; he got angry for this... So I began a bit less enthusiastic about neanderthal games; it's a pity since I'm not bad at all. I've never lost an index finger wrestling challenge (i call it ironfinger, I don't know if it has a name). Blacksmith usually has a huge grip strenght, and it is good for ironfinger challenges.

My sledge hammer weights about 8-9kg; its a powerful tool, I must take a pic of it.

I tried that with my Jiu-Jitsu instructor today, and had him begging off. Finally, something I can win at. Ironfinger Rules!

I like to joke about my "studly blacksmith's build", since I'm far from bulky. In fact, I'm decidedly lean, with the only clue to my avocation being the disproportionate, hand-like objects on the ends of my arms. Palms are considerably wider than they are long. Fingers are so thick and stubby that I haven't been able to get my wedding band off for over 15 years. Can't even get my Wesleyan Alumnus ring back on. Turning pages, picking up needles or paper can be problematic, but I don't need to use pliers very often!

I like to joke about my "studly blacksmith's build", since I'm far from bulky. In fact, I'm decidedly lean, with the only clue to my avocation being the disproportionate, hand-like objects on the ends of my arms. Palms are considerably wider than they are long. Fingers are so thick and stubby that I haven't been able to get my wedding band off for over 15 years. Can't even get my Wesleyan Alumnus ring back on. Turning pages, picking up needles or paper can be problematic, but I don't need to use pliers very often!

Heh,

My fingers are getting shorter, (an optical illusion), from added muscle, fat, skin, scar tissue/calluses, hair, and calcium deposits. :lol:

Try squshing your wedding band a wee bit. It might fit on a ergonomic cross section of your finger. Worked for me.

Edited by Bennett
I tried that with my Jiu-Jitsu instructor today, and had him begging off. Finally, something I can win at. Ironfinger Rules!

In Munich it's a kind of traditional sport... I must train myself for the next oktoberfest.