30 second forge

I sometimes see people mention not having the money to buy/make a forge. But just to show how simple you can make a very effective forge, here's my 30 second forge. The bellows and tuyerre are part of my bronze casting equipment. The actual forge is a shallow pit (roughly 10-15cm), with the tuyerre opening at the bottom. There is a low wall at the backside, against which I can pile the charcoal. This is in this case a fragment of a smelting furnace, but could just as well be bricks, or some lumps of clay. This in my experience works just as well as any charcoal forge.

01130013.jpg

The only downside is that it's ground level, so you have to bend down every time to pick up the metal and put it back in the fire. But it can also be build on a table, as long as you put a clay (preferably clay/sand/organic material mix) layer of around 10cm on top as insulation.

And also very handy is if you have a bellow slave :)

01130014.jpg

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

When I first started out trying to develope a design for a charcoal forge someone said that a forget is a hole in the ground with an air tube and a fire in it. All else is just elevation. I guess you proved his point.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

What are the connecting tubes made from? I need something to connect the output valves from my box bellows and I ran out of good wood for use. The particleboard and cardboard combination I tried turned out to be a huge waste of time.

Edited by nabiul