Keith

Forge question

I am ready to assembel my forge,it is a 10''x 12'' piece of pipe,i am lining it with 2'' of Inswool.This is my first forge,need to know will one Ellis 3/4''venturi burner be enough or do i need two,also what would be a good opening in the front,and do i need a opening in the back?

Thanks for any help.

Keith

I am ready to assembel my forge,it is a 10''x 12'' piece of pipe,i am lining it with 2'' of Inswool.This is my first forge,need to know will one Ellis 3/4''venturi burner be enough or do i need two,also what would be a good opening in the front,and do i need a opening in the back?

Thanks for any help.

Keith

one burner should be Ok You dont need an opening in the back unless you are doing long stuff ( a drop down door is always handy on the back tho ) the front should be about 4 x 4 i made a door so i can open it up with the 4 x 4 cut out level with the fire brick 's on the bottom of the forge , dont forget to stick the blanket to the steel with KAOGRIP AND SEAL THE INSWOOL WITH KAO WOOL HARDENER 50 /50 WITH WATER spray or soak, dry at 90deg for 12 hrs this saves the stuff burning up to fast were you got the inswool should have it in stock hope this is of some help to you

tell

I used to use a venturi that I got from Zoeller Forge but have replaced it with a home built blown burner. Unless you have a problem with no eletrical supply I would strongly recommend that you get a blown burner. They have far better control and are head and shoulder above a venturi when it comes to effeciency. I got the same forge body hotter more quickly than it did with a venturi burner while using much less propane. Most of my burner is made from 2" PCV pipe; only the reducing bell and the burner tube (actually an injection tube) are black pipe. I only had to drill one hole and that was to insert the gas nipple into the air pipe. I epoxied it into the plastic plug to a T connector. I had to get the needle valve, 2" gate valve, and the reducing bell from Ellis and, not being very good at scrounging, I got my blower off Ebay. The blower and the gate valve did bring the cost up a little bit. If you're better at scrounging than I am you might even be able to get the blower for free. Remember that with either burner you are going to have to have good ventilation where you install it. Tuned to the way that you will need to use it, forges gush out carbon monoxide.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester

Thanks Tell and Doug very helpful info.Hey Doug i have never given it much thought about the ventilation,i will from now on.

Thanks again, Keith

All it took me was hearing of two local workers found dead in a building because they had a small generator in the room they were working in.

I the next day went to Home depot and bought a carbon monoxide detector, Makes me feel better when using my propane forge.

As for burners you could probably get away with one venturi burner.

I plan to build a don fogg forge next to see if blown burner is really better, if it saves propane I am on board though.

Chris

OH ya its a real killer I have mine under a forge hood with two extractor fans running both 12 volt and encased so no chance of a stray spark from motors and the gas bottle is outside and a Quick kill valve

inside just hit it and everything shut's down fast Im all for safety first in the work shop

and with gas you only get one chance 2 if your real lucky and stupid enugh to do the same thing twice lol

cheers tell

A couple of years ago a nurse I used to work with lost her son to carbon monoxide. The boy was staying with his father in a house the father was renovating. They had a generator set up outside the window of the bedroom they were staying in. The wind shifted after the went to bed for the night and blew the exhaust into the room they were sleeping in through a widow left open for the power cord from the generator. The man said that he had a dream that his son was trying to wake him up and he woke up to find that the room was full of fumes and he was feeling sick. He dragged his son out of the house but he was already dead. According to the nurse her ex spent several months on a suicide watch. She was even calling him regularly to make sure he wasn't thinking of doing anything. You just don't mess with carbon monoxide. People think that they will notice if it starts to get to them but they may not because it robs the brain of oxygen and makes it's victims less allert plus you can't smell it.

Thanks again Doug,sorry to ever hear anything like that,but,when it happens to a child,to me thats really sad.before i do any inside work with a forge i'll have a carbon monoxide detector.

Keith