Sign in to follow this  
Keith

forging

This is for beginners and i have never done any forging,so if this is a stupid question please forgive me.When forging is it necessary to use flux for all applications,or is it just used when forging damascus,and either way what do you use,and at what stage in the process do you use it?

Thanks for any help,Keith

This is for beginners and i have never done any forging,so if this is a stupid question please forgive me.When forging is it necessary to use flux for all applications,or is it just used when forging damascus,and either way what do you use,and at what stage in the process do you use it?

First thing is first. When you are learning something new there are no stupid questions.

Here is the basics on flux. Flux is used to help when forge welding. Borax is a common type of flux that is used by blacksmiths/bladesmiths when they are forge welding. What it does is keeps the scale from forming in between the two ends that are going to be welded together. It helps to keep the weld area clean so that the smith gets a better weld.

Think of it this way, scale is excellerated rust. Rust is oxidation (formed by contact with oxygen). The flux forms a layer that when heated up turns to a glassy texture that helps to block most (not all) of the oxidation process, so there is less (and if done properly very little) scale formed between the weld joint so that the joint will weld easier and be stronger. If forge welding is done properly the two pieces are joined nearly all the way through, where as with a welding machine only a little bit of the surface is connected.

Flux is really only needed during forge welding.

Hope that is helpful to you.

To add to what Don said, Flux also lowers the melting temperature of scale so it turns liquid and is pushed out of between the layers when forge welding. And you do not use it when just forging any old thing, just when welding.

Just realized that I didn't explain when to use the flux. Once you get the peices the shape you want them and are just about ready to weld them together you will brush the scale of with a wire brush, apply the flux on all sides, heat it up to welding temp, take it out of the forge and hit it with the hammer a few times to make the weld.

Make sure that you have an apron on and safety glasses. Also make sure that people stand back away from the anvil (if there are other people in the shop) because when you make the weld the flux will squirt out like small globs of molten glass.

Just realized that I didn't explain when to use the flux. Once you get the peices the shape you want them and are just about ready to weld them together you will brush the scale of with a wire brush, apply the flux on all sides, heat it up to welding temp, take it out of the forge and hit it with the hammer a few times to make the weld.

Make sure that you have an apron on and safety glasses. Also make sure that people stand back away from the anvil (if there are other people in the shop) because when you make the weld the flux will squirt out like small globs of molten glass.

I agree with all the above, with extra emphasis on the safety portion. And remember there are no stupid questions just stupid answers.

Edited by Wade H.

Thanks guys,all answers have given me a better understanding on the subject.Ihave another forge building question ,but i'll have another topic.

Thanks again Keith