Wood Chisel set

Hello All,

Just finished this set of five tools.

The three flat chisels are 3/4,1 1/2 and 2". The gouge is 2" with interenal edge. The plane blade is also 2" wide.

All are wought iron with 1086 steel edge and the wrought was laddered to pick up on the stripes of the tiger maple.

The blades are forged with a 3/8" round (think intergral) which runs the length of the handle and is threaded into the butt cap.

Ferrule and butt are polished steel.

Ric

chisel_set.jpg

blades.jpg

plane.jpg

2___gauge_side_view.jpg

Amazing Work those may be the most beautifully crafted tools i have ever seen in my life!

if i am not mistaken that is the line between the iron body's and steel edges not a hamon correct?

Great work

~~DJ

Chisels with hamons? Wow...

Nick,

No hamon..what you see is a piece of steel (dark) between two piece of wrought iton.....the welded cutting edge of 1086 is on the bottom and not visible in the pictures.

Ric

Hello All,

Just finished this set of five tools.

The three flat chisels are 3/4,1 1/2 and 2". The gouge is 2" with interenal edge. The plane blade is also 2" wide.

All are wought iron with 1086 steel edge and the wrought was laddered to pick up on the stripes of the tiger maple.

The blades are forged with a 3/8" round (think intergral) which runs the length of the handle and is threaded into the butt cap.

Ferrule and butt are polished steel.

Ric

Ric,

Did you make these for a customer, yourself, or did you just have nothing to do? Whatever the reason, they are gorgeous.

Tony G

Really nice chisels! I like the way you threaded the tang into the buttcap. No split/ mushroomed handles. You need to make a nice dogwood mallet to go with them. I'd offer personal injury to the guy that picked one of those chisels up with a steel hammer in his other hand. Man, a four inch slick would look nice in that set!

Good work!

Hello All,

The set was a commission, well actually only the 3/4" and 1 1/2" were ordered, but I made the 2" because it looked like it needed to be made and thought I'd play a bit with a curved tool and out came the gouge. The gouge took twice the time of the others....so much for playing.

The plane just seemed like, well, like it was about time I made one.

The client is interested in the chisles, but uses European planes so the Japanese style plane was not accepted.

I did a complete run of ebony chisels some years ago ..from 1/4 to 2". I was rather proud of those....got a picture somewhere.

Ric

Really nice chisels! I like the way you threaded the tang into the buttcap. No split/ mushroomed handles. You need to make a nice dogwood mallet to go with them. I'd offer personal injury to the guy that picked one of those chisels up with a steel hammer in his other hand. Man, a four inch slick would look nice in that set!

Good work!

A slick is what I think when I see the 2" flat.........I have an old 4" slick...about ten pounds or so..........when I get the new shop up and running I will make one...if only to have on the wall.

Ric

• 2 weeks later...

hey Ric,

beatiful work! i have been interested in making chisels and planes for a very long time.... if you ever feel inspired to make a tutorial for either i would be thrilled!

-Aaron

I did a complete run of ebony chisels some years ago ..from 1/4 to 2". I was rather proud of those....got a picture somewhere.

Any chance of seeing that set?

Beautiful tools. I would love to have a set like that. Probably would be wise to learn to use them properly first though!

~Bruce~

• 4 years later...