Small Forged Knife

Despite the best efforts of guys like our own Adlai Stein and Richard Heinicke, as well as a lot of email correspondence from Dan Brock of Plowshare Forge, my first solo forged piece didn't quite turn out like I had envisioned. :blink:

I guess it's not that bad. It has something of a primitive look to it with all of those spots where I hit the steel too hard.

I made my first stacked handle, too, using mahogany, oak, cedar, and purpleheart.

For more pics and information, go HERE.

Thanks for looking.

Gaucho2.jpg

Gaucho1.jpg

Steven and Doug, thanks for the boost. :)

Adlai,

Like an idiot, I warped the recurve during heat treat. I plan on re-heating it and trying to straighten it out. I was looking forward to wearing that knife, too. I want to get a little better with the hammer before trying it, as I don't want to ruin anything else on it. I was thinking of using a hide mallet to straighten it- what do you think?

I think the shape rocks!

everyone on the board has a box of stuff they hate and that didnt turn out as planned

Mine is large well stocked and FUGLY!!!( I have made stuff that just the aperence could have been used to exorcize the salem witch trials)

it's a great knife cuz it's yours ,and a stepping stone to were you want to be

Mike