O1 steel japan sword?

Zoltan Csaszi

Hi all,

I would like to find, worthy O1 steel from japan tanto, wakizashi, to katana prepare? :rolleyes: I know it the hamon a line will not be visible on him. Or after? :blink: I read one topic, from the broken heat treat method ( water 3 seconds, next in oil ). How let me make heat treatment differentiated between on this steel, to the achievement of the suitable endurance of the back? :huh: S.O.S please!

Regards,

Zoltan

i would very much NOT suggest a water quench of any sort with O1

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

I think it's alright for tantos, but wouldn't the chromium content make it a tad brittle for anything larger?

I had a strange thought the other day.

If I were locked in a room with a copy of myself, i wouldn't like me very much.

you can quench O1 in water, just about, but you'll lose 2 out of three blades. it's about the only way to get it to show a decent hamon though. clay on the back and an oil quench will give you differential hardening, but mostly because the clay acts as enough of a heat sink to stop the spine transforming in the first place.

but i agree, O1 isn't really suitible for swords, and i wouldn't water quench anything of O1 over about 7"

post_1022_1176928045.jpg

this is one posted by mushisushi last year, which was normalised 3 times and water quenched. but really, there's no substitute for plain carbon steel, except tamahagane.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Zoltan, you are only going to get so much toughness from O1 because of it's high carbon content, which I believe is close to 1%. It will give great wear resistance but will tend to be brittle. I'd look for a steel with a 0.5-0.6% carbon content to make a sword from.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Zoltan,

Last I knew you could get a steel from Germany that was a W2 equivalent. I bought some from Dr. Batson a couple of years ago here in the States. Hopefuly, this will give you a direction to start looking in. This is what he told me about it.

The steel is Thyssen Thyodur 2833. It is a German made w-2 steel with from

.95 to 1.10 % carbon and with .25 % vanadium.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler