Borax

Archie Zietman

Hello.

I have a box of 20 Mule Team Borax powder. I am wondering, do I need to cook it in my oven for a while before using it to get any water out, or can I just use it as is?

Thanks,

Archie

edited for typos

Edited by Archie Zietman

"I can kill you with my brain..."

__River Tam

You can use it straight up but the water in it might make it splatter just a bit. A lot of people use it right out of the box with not trouble at all.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

I've always used it right out of the box. Just make sure the metal is hot when you put it on. It will puff up as the water evaporates.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Archie, as the water in the soap boils off, the stuff will foam up. Depending on the amount of air blast that can blow some off the billet you're working on. Baking it on a cookie sheet in the oven works pretty well for getting rid of the water. Even anhydrous borax, if left exposed to the humidity in the air, will pick up water and foam a little sometimes.

Otherwise, it's good old borax and will work just fine for welding flux.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers