Leaf Bladed Dagger.

Brenno

Very Sharp, Very Pointy, Very Shiny, Very Deadly. Sounds like I've come to the right place then!

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

and must show off the other side too, as there is so much character in the scales:

IMG_4035.jpg

Lets take a moment to appreciate those scales hey? It's called Red Morrell, and comes from the West Australian Gold Fields.

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

Made via stock removal from XK9258S,

Weight 385g (13.6oz).

Overall length: 410mm (16.2")

Blade including ricasso: 250mm (10")

And BTW that main helm piercing spike at the butt is 40mm long (1.6")

POB at 6mm (0.25") past the cross.

COP - no, theres no flexing in this baby.

This project gave me renewed respect for the sheer toughness of this steel. There were some moments; I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Brenno

First you must learn to use, this... It'll teach you to use, this...

(Uncle Argyle, Braveheart.)

Fable Blades.com

Normally I don't get too excited about fantasy blades but that knife shows a lot of great work and attention to detail. By the way, what is the wood that you used for the handle? I love it; looks like some type of burl.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Thats the one. If you would like to try a set they are available on ebay. Search their other products too, they have some beautiful timber from Western Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RED-MORRELL-KNIFE-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Red Morrell turned out to be some very tight hard wood, and fairly weighty. If you see Jarrah on there that is also some very dense wood, which comes in some beautiful reds and pinks. It can splinter a bit in carving though being so hard.

Doug, thanks for the appreciation, I'm a newbey but I do put some hours into my 'art'. I know it's not historical, but I just don't get as turned on by historical blade shapes, and I lack the skills / technology to turn out damascus, or wax cast components. So I make up for it in shaping the blade. And hope to get some decent wood carving going on over time.

Let me know if you do get some of these scales. My local wood is exotic for you guys, hey?

:)

First you must learn to use, this... It'll teach you to use, this...

(Uncle Argyle, Braveheart.)

Fable Blades.com