Ric Furrer offline

Ric Furrer want to pass on that he is off line for a while. Lightening got his computer and will be a few days before he is back on line.

That'll larn 'im not to offer beer to Thor.

Hope you didn't sustain any other damage Ric. my dad had a lightning ball come in his shop and smash a months worth of pottery once :wacko:

but on the plus side it made a really good story! :lol:

Edited by Jake Powning

Lightning Yeh Right .

I can imagine it now 30 metre ariel the only way to harness the elements and run a huge induction melter .(a bit like back to the future but a lot more Metal!!!) .

Hope it didnd do too much damage .

A future thing to bear in mind is to always purchase a good surge protector. Just last night my modem, route and ethernet port on my rig blew (very nice fireworks about 2-3 feet away from me). I had everything electrical on the surge protector.....except the phone line. Went through the phone line, then the modem...through the ethernet cable to the router and then to my computer's ethernet port. All in all my stupidity set me back 120 bucks (and I consider myself tech savvy). :lol:

Mine was something similar.

During an ice storm we had a little lightning which took out the power box on the modem's power cord. Got it replaced, and well after the guy came out to fix it, it'd stayed plugged into the wall unprotected, just forgot to move it.

So beginning of Feb we have a nasty storm, I power off the computer and such before bed, and next morning the modem is dead. That night I go in to turn on computer to look up some heat treat info on W-2 I had saved, and well it's not coming on.

Been less than a year on computer, so they replaced the motherboard, just had to pay 35$ shipping.

Guy came out and replaced the box on the modem, said he wasn't gonna be able to keep doing that (actually he had no authority to say that)

From what I can tell, the surge came through the modem's cord, blew out the power box, left the modem alone, then traveled through the router, killing the port on it, but leaving the router alone (gonna need to get a new router as it's the last port alive), then on into the computer killing the motherboard.

So planning on getting a nicer surge protector that everything feeds through next time we go to store. We'd gotten one for the Tv system. The computer was on one, but the modem wasn't, and that's how it got in grrrr....

Mean ol' lighning.

Edited by EdgarFigaro
  • 4 weeks later...
Ric Furrer want to pass on that he is off line for a while. Lightening got his computer and will be a few days before he is back on line.

Well,

A logic board later and my IMac is back up...NO loss of data which is the best news.

The lightning came in the phone line which was NOT connected trough the surge suppressor...it is now.

However....my basement flooded this AM so I move from one force of nature to another.....moving 6500 gallons of water out per hour and just keeping pace with it....this has not occured before.....maybe I can run a water wheel for a hammer?

Ric

Well,

A logic board later and my IMac is back up...NO loss of data which is the best news.

The lightning came in the phone line which was NOT connected trough the surge suppressor...it is now.

However....my basement flooded this AM so I move from one force of nature to another.....moving 6500 gallons of water out per hour and just keeping pace with it....this has not occured before.....maybe I can run a water wheel for a hammer?

Ric

Otoh, the lightning strike means you should have the new shop assistant lurching around and ready to swing a sledgehammer or whatever pretty soon, right?

(couldn't resist)

Ric ,I hope you get that water out soon and i really hope that not too much of your pressious stuff got wet.

Yeah, I had the foresight to run my DSL line through a phone surge protector before my house got hit. I also always unplug the computer if I think there's going to be any storms while I'm away. I got lucky and only had to replace the surge protector.

Hey, my basement looks like it'll get the first flood of this Spring with 55 degree temps and rain storms this evening. There's a lot of snowpack to melt...

Ric?

dive1.jpeg

My SCUBA equip is a bit more modern than that...and it got wet as well.

The basement is "dry" more or less and that, alone with other things, did force me to move to the new shop building sooner than I had planned......then again I have been "moving" into it for three years sooooooooooooo....

All is well and not much was lost...actually found some things I forgot I had....including a few chevron welded sword blanks behind a shelf....don't you hate it when they pile up like that?

Ric

Yeah, I had the foresight to run my DSL line through a phone surge protector before my house got hit. I also always unplug the computer if I think there's going to be any storms while I'm away. I got lucky and only had to replace the surge protector.

Hey, my basement looks like it'll get the first flood of this Spring with 55 degree temps and rain storms this evening. There's a lot of snowpack to melt...

J.....how was the thaw?

Ric

It's been a nice, slow melt. There's some water in the studio, but not several inches like there has been before...

All is well and not much was lost...actually found some things I forgot I had....including a few chevron welded sword blanks behind a shelf....don't you hate it when they pile up like that?

Ric

Yeah I hate it when those things get underfoot! :lol: Glad to know things are pertty much in hand now Ric.