1080 Japanese kitchen knife

Chris Moss

hey everybody!

this is a knife born of Calculus..

i took the calculus test, and then i needed to beat on something. As it was my girlfriends mother's birthday the next day... i did have a reason to make one. i finished it on the 29th of Feb... i thought that was kinda cool

this was my first tapered tang..

let me know what you think

OAL 12"

7" cutting edge

apple-seed blade profile

4.5" Black linen micarta handle

1080 carbon steel

brass pins

i would appreciate your comments

DSC02997.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

DSC03001.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03014.jpg

DSC02998.jpg

thanks for looking!

~chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

http://knifemaker87.googlepages.com/home

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

That turned out nice.

Only thing I'd have tried to do a little different would have been bringing the hamon on the top up a little higher as it drops a little there.

I like it regardless.

So what did she think of it?

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

actually..

they blade was longer.. but the hamon dipped right there.. so i trimmed the blade, for esthetic reasons. still working on heating a long blade in a short forge.

next time i will make it thinner too. and more tapered. but i am sure she will like it. i havent given it to her yet.. but it has a really sharp fine (if not beefy) edge. it has some heft to it.

thanks!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Hamons are a painting; blades are a canvas, clay is my paint, fire is my brush. the problem is.. i am still painting like Pablo Picasso.

Very nicely done Chris, GREAT tapered tang, that blade looks BEEFY.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

i made an upright forge prolly 8" in diameter... something like that.

and originally the blade was 9" long.. so.. i must have let the tip get too cool.. it would have still had a hard edge.. but it wasnt esthetically appealing.. so i cut it.

the blade is 3/16" thick at the widest part.. next time it will be more like 1/8 at the thickest point. but you live and learn.

it would make a great meat cleaver

thanks

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Chris

Super nice design, I really like it. I have been meaning to make some kitchen knives and I think this might be the inspiration I needed.

Chris Williams

Chris Williams

Ah, so you'd have to do a bit of stroking to kinda keep it even along the full length.

I'm planning on building an upright at some point, just haven't gotten around to it.

Currently just using stacked bricks.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Edgar,

yes you have to stoke the blade to get the whole length hot.. but i didnt want to overheat the tip.. which i didnt... but i ddnt get it as hot as the rest of the blade... better next time

Chris, glad to be of assistance *grins* but i would say.. i would make them thinner.. this one will be great for raw meat and such.. but not for slicing vegies really.

thanks so much!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Edited by Robert Kobayashi

Edited by Robert Kobayashi

RK,

i am just in calculus 1.. but i will go on to cal3 casue of my major.. but i am better with trig than with algebra..

frustrating and heart rending when test scores come back.. i was trying to keep a 4.0 but i think this class will nix that..

oh well.. life goes on

thanks so much for the encouragment

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

Did it again man. I really like how this turned out. You should take more tests.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

RK,

i am just in calculus 1.. but i will go on to cal3 casue of my major.. but i am better with trig than with algebra..

frustrating and heart rending when test scores come back.. i was trying to keep a 4.0 but i think this class will nix that..

oh well.. life goes on

thanks so much for the encouragment

~Chris

I know exaclty how you're feeling right now... I had a Calc 2 test handed back to me this week... I decided that a 4.0 GPA is way overrated :rolleyes: And I get to go on with mathematics even after Diff Eqs's - YAY ME! :wacko:

• 3 months later...

MrBaz,

i used the slack belt technique.. where you grind with the belt without a platten. you have to get the rough shap of the convezity first (via platten or angle grinder.. or whatever you do) and then the slack belt makes it one smooth curve.

hope this helps!

~Chris

-Knifemaker-

MossKnives.jpg

looks great as always! your work is always incredible chris...

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill