W2 Tool Steel 2" Rd

Don, Obviously this steel can produce quite a hamon. I'll be forging out a knife from this steel in the next couple of weeks and want to try my hand at obtaining a hamon. What type of quench are you using and how do you temper your blades?

Thanks,

Kris

After normalizing 3 to 5 times, I heat a clayed blade to 1450f or a little above non-magnetic and quench in Park's 50 quench oil, then temper 1 hour twice @ 425f. Any fast quench will work but Park's is the fastest and produces super results.

from don to me

infinite edge cutlery

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info, John. I'll give it a shot once i get a chance to make my little steel hockey pucks into something a bit more pointy.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Don, I don't want to be nosey or anything, but how did you end up being an iron monger? Did you buy up some NOS surplus or have someone smelt a batch?

If this is private business information, I totally understand. I'm just curious. It seems like a lot of work handling so many tons of steel.

Don, I don't want to be nosey or anything, but how did you end up being an iron monger? Did you buy up some NOS surplus or have someone smelt a batch?

If this is private business information, I totally understand. I'm just curious. It seems like a lot of work handling so many tons of steel.

It has been a lot of work, but I like doing it and gives me a break from my regular job of knife making.

I found a surplus of old stock, around 35,000 lbs and have been acquiring it in 2000-4000 lb shipments over the last 4-5 years and have shipped around 25,000 lbs so far. Have spent many, many hours unloading, stacking, cutting, packaging and shipping, not to mention the cost of bandsaw blades and strapping tape :)

I'll have about 2000 lbs of 2.5" W2 cut and ready to ship in a week or so. I also found a few 12 foot bars of the 2-1/8" that I thought was all gone, I'll probably keep most of it but if anyone wants 2-1/8" just let me know.

I recently have looked into having a smelt of W2 made but have come up with dead ends so far. It wont be easy!

Thanks guys!!!

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

Wow, Don, you have been a busy beaver, so-to-speak. I'm curious, roughly what's holding the smelters up from doing a melt, volume, cost, or ??? This is some really great steel, IMHO.

Thanks,

Brian K.

Rogue Amateur and Weekend Hobbyist

Brian, I've contacted two mills and they just weren't interested, didn't even get to quantity or price.

I'm afraid quantity and price will be a problem when I find a mill to make it. We'll see, I'm working with a tool steel distributor right now that might work out.

Don

If it means anything I would be willing to chip in a few bucks to help if it is a cost issue. I mean I do not have much but if it helps you get closer to your goal I am sure, and I think I can speak for everyone involved that we would all chip in if it means getting more of that W-2.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

No Don Thank you for that wanderful W-2

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Hey Don,

Have you talked to some of the small batch mills? A quick Google gave me this place. they only have a 250lb minimum, so they'd be willing to talk to you I'm sure...

-d

Hi Dek, this was the first place I contacted, guy on the phone said they no longer do custom melts. There are a lot of web sites out there that need to be updated. Especially the ones that list W2 and one in particular (Diehl steel) that list the specs wrong for W1 and W2.

Edited by Don Hanson

I was reading it and well How do you know if they get your W-2 right or wrong. Do they do a test run and send you a piece to have tested? I mean that is alot of money.

My rant all of a sudden

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

John, there is risk involved. I sure would hate to be stuck with 80,000 lbs of junk. If I have a batch made, I'll need to go with a company that I trust and has a good track record.

Also, the steel should be made very close to the specs ordered. Otherwise, I wouldn't accept it.

Edited by Don Hanson

Ok cool as I am very interested in this process. And I would like to one day watch it happen. So I hope you can put up with me baggering you about this whole process.

I wish we could see this on video or even a field trip, yeah I vote field trip. LOL

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

John, there is risk involved. I sure would hate to be stuck with 80,000 lbs of junk. If I have a batch made, I'll need to go with a company that I trust and has a good track record.

Also, the steel should be made very close to the specs ordered. Otherwise, I wouldn't accept it.

You got that right! Having lived across the pond for a few years I have had to resource anything I wanted through local sources. Funny thing is every time I ask if somebody has something or they can do it they always say yes. A good many times this proved 100 incorrect on their part as they did not have a clue as to what was going on when all was said and done. A good example was a recent sales person telling me they had high carbon steel only to read the specs and find there was almost no carbon in it, it was useless to me. They sat there in their fancy clothes behind a big desk and talked a good game but proved only to be a idiot when it came to the facts.

Point being, in this situation its much better to find steel that's already been made, that can be tested, is on the money. Trying to have a company make a batch of steel they are not already making for a broader market is biting off enough to choke on if they get it wrong.

The good news is there is Steel out there, no telling who will luck onto the next batch of it but there are a few people always looking. I wanted to get some of this W2 but I have a problem with customs here and its easier for me to get steel from Germany right now. I have a few sources for High Carbon Steel in Germany as do the German guys on the forum here. For now the price is wrong to ship it to the United States but if things go crazy and you guys run out of stock there is Steel available there in Germany and its the right kind.

Don, Good luck in finding another batch. There is something primal about treasure hunting, digging around old barns, old shops, and warehouses.

Good post Bryan!

Point being, in this situation its much better to find steel that's already been made, that can be tested, is on the money.

Good news is, I have around 3,000 lbs of the good W2 available. But it's 2-1/8" and mostly 2-1/2" rounds. I also ship a lot to Europe with no problems.

John, no prob, you bring up good questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just got a bunch of 2.5" W2 cut and ready to ship. This W2 is from the same melt as the stuff I've been using / selling.

Made in the USA.

Bar size is; 2.5" x 8" long, 11.5 lbs.

4 bars per box, 46 lbs, $165 shipped in the US, including HI & AK. $160 per box

40 boxes available. 34 left

Paypal address; info@sunfishforge.com

I can ship overseas and to Canada but 20 lb max and additional shipping charge, contact me for details.

25W2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have more 2-1/8", that I thought was 2-1/4" :o

Bar size is; 2.125" x 10" long, 10 lbs.

4 bars per box, 40 lbs, $140 shipped in the US, including HI & AK.

22 boxes available. 16 left

2125W2.jpg

Thanks guys,

Edited by Don Hanson

• 1 month later...