Sign in to follow this  
Mike Blue

triple fuller?

I was wondering if it is possible or functional to make a blade with three fullers per side.  Obviously thin ones and not the deep wide ones that are the most common. Perhaps to go further, I was wondering what effect this would have on blade quality.  I know that a fuller does a great deal.  Would those fullers remove less weight, but add more strength.  Perhaps more importantly, would a blade with those fullers survive the heat treat.  I imagine it would create odd stresses.  Just wondering.  Let me know what you think?

This is an interesting topic.  

I just had a wonderful conversation with Zaza Revishvili at the Badger Knife Show about this very subject.  He is pretty knowledgable (and talented) about eastern european blades.  

He had a partially finished blade with him that had three fullers.  So they do exist and are very traditional.  Our talk had a lot to do with being able to identify the region and particular religious tradition according to the shape of the fuller cuts.  

Keep the fullers round on the bottom to avoid stress risers.  Logically, they would do all you suggest, remove weight, increase strength.  I've never done anything like that so I will defer to those who have for how they react to heat treatment.