Sign in to follow this  
Bibble

Not exactly steel, but it pertains to it.

I was tired of beeswaxing all my thin leather and was sick of my knives punching through the sheaths, so i went down to tandy leather this weekend and bought a belly piece and some stamps. Went back home and promptly finished my hugely procrastinated sheath commission for a friend.

daniels.jpg

and then my mum got back from alaska and she brought me back an Ulu! So the first use it got was cutting the leather for its own sheath!

Ulu.jpg

I was tired of beeswaxing all my thin leather and was sick of my knives punching through the sheaths, so i went down to tandy leather this weekend and bought a belly piece and some stamps. Went back home and promptly finished my hugely procrastinated sheath commission for a friend.

daniels.jpg

and then my mum got back from alaska and she brought me back an Ulu! So the first use it got was cutting the leather for its own sheath!

Ulu.jpg

Have you ever tried water hardening the leather? It will make in very hard once you mold it to shape it will stay that shape. I find it works better then beeswax treatment.

I hope this will help.

Rich

Hi Bibble

have you seen this forum..

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

there are lots of posts pertaining to leatherwork for cases... ( anything Chuck B says is gold )

it seems that making cases goes hand in hand with knives... and it doesn't take alot of tools to do it....

-- a stitch groover, edger, stitch spacer, contact cement, awl, and needle..

hope that helps a little

Greg

daniels.jpg

Ulu.jpg

Next time buy some shoulder leather.

I first bought a piece of belly for my first sheath. It turned out okay but I'm thinking I'm going to replace it since I've made a few now.

Shoulder is quite a bit thicker and a lot better than the belly.

One time I went in I just bought a side since it was half off. So I've been using it.

The belly is kinda thin.

Also a lot harder for it to punch through some of the thicker leather.

The couple I'd made from some shoulder leather I looked at a couple weeks ago, my neighbors owns the knives they house. The leather is actually a bit thicker than the leather I've been using lately. Probably due to the variances through out the side.

Next time buy some shoulder leather.

I first bought a piece of belly for my first sheath. It turned out okay but I'm thinking I'm going to replace it since I've made a few now.

Shoulder is quite a bit thicker and a lot better than the belly.

One time I went in I just bought a side since it was half off. So I've been using it.

The belly is kinda thin.

Also a lot harder for it to punch through some of the thicker leather.

The couple I'd made from some shoulder leather I looked at a couple weeks ago, my neighbors owns the knives they house. The leather is actually a bit thicker than the leather I've been using lately. Probably due to the variances through out the side.

I just went with what was cheapest and looked like what i wanted. This particular piece I bought was a pretty uniform 7-9 ounce leather.

It works for me but next time i'll take a look at the shoulder leather, and see if i likes it.

The belly I had gotten wasn't very thick. Maybe you'd gotten some that was a bit thicker, from the pictures it just gives the appearance of being some of the thinner.

One of the reasons I've seen shoulder suggested is they say it doesn't have the creases like my belly piece did.

I know the shoulder I must have gotten musta been around 9-10 oz as it was fairly thick.

I've got two sheaths made from my belly leather which was my first and second, the second turned out better than the first and houses a spike knife.

I think someone said the shoulder is a lot firmer than the belly leather too...

Ever work with Saddle leather Bibble. A friend gave me 2 old western style saddles. Lots of leather in them but its like working with something with a mind of its own. Real thick and stiff.Tried Neatsfoot oil to soften it.Any advice. Sorry for stepping in on your thread, but figured you could lead a greenhorn.... Tim

I am a saddlemaker/leatherworker and if you have any questions about leather I'd be happy to answer them. Belly leather tends to be "flanky" and has a maked tendancey to stretch (ALOT) which is great for covering a scabbard, but not ideal for sheaths, if you can buy "bends" that is the best but pricey and hard to find. double or single shoulders are alright but watch out for "flanky" edges, the same goes for sides. My preference is for russet saddle skirting, in a 10-12 thickness.

just my 2 cents

Ben

Ever work with Saddle leather Bibble. A friend gave me 2 old western style saddles. Lots of leather in them but its like working with something with a mind of its own. Real thick and stiff.Tried Neatsfoot oil to soften it.Any advice. Sorry for stepping in on your thread, but figured you could lead a greenhorn.... Tim

Try getting it wet. Sopping wet. Leather is more pliable when it's wet.

To tell the truth, I'm really not that much more experienced than you with this stuff. It's all a matter of playing around until you find something that works.

Excuse me if i'm wrong but aren't saddles worth something, though?

Try getting it wet. Sopping wet. Leather is more pliable when it's wet.

1) Over wetting leather can not only be damaging to the leather but can be counterproductive to good work

To tell the truth, I'm really not that much more experienced than you with this stuff. It's all a matter of playing around until you find something that works.

2) Maybe so but you can also read what others with more experience have to offer (including myself) - there's no need to re-invent the wheel - and there are also several good instructional books and videos

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials...therstitch.html

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html

http://www.knivesby.com/dan-sheath-tutor-1.html

http://www.knivesby.com/adj-welt.html

as noted by others belly leather is gawd awful stuff for sheaths......