• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
dsloan

F. J. Richtig

41 posts in this topic

Folks here are some photos of my Collection of Richtigs.

The scraper is a rare one. Richtig also made some odd pieces with aluminum handles. I've seen paint scrapers, leather cutting knives and grouting knives. He is also known to make a hatchet and serving forks from time to time.

Dave from Diller

Hammer pics 017.JPG

Hammer pics 019.JPG

Hammer pics 020.JPG

I have this old knife I inherited from my grandfather who served in WWII. It has ABSOLUTELY NO MARKINGS LEFT ON IT. In fact the only way I came to the possible conclusion that it could be a F.J. Richtig is the Alfred Cornish sheath and an internet search gave me this forum. So here is a picture with the sheath. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm just want to know if this is or might be a F.J.R. Knife.

000_0162.jpg

Wow, Nice story. Every indication points to an Original leather handled Richtig. You accurate when you notice the Cornish sheath alot of the original sheaths did not make it. That is a really good example. The handle of the knife really points to a Richtig. The long tang extending through the butt cap is a really good indication and the spacer material and how it is stacked.

I believe you have a wonderful example of Richtigs work.

Thanks for sharing

Dave from Diller

Yes Sir, I have been collecting his work for several years now. Not on the level of others though. But I have seen some very interesting pieces.

Dave from Diller

Just added another Richtig to my collection. Not the most expensive of his work but I enjoy it all the same.

DSC04080.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

Gentlemen (and ladies, if anyone's watching)

I got an email today from a gentleman who wished to remain anonymous but who had some information to pass on in hopes you enjoy it. He requested no contact, so don't ask for it. :)

I do not wish to join the forum for a single post but would like to share a bit of information about Frank. My mother's family were from the Clarkson community and had known him for years and proudly used his knives daily.

I grew up in Leigh Nebraska which is six miles west of where Frank had his shop in Clarkson Nebraska. One time when I had gone to the bank in Clarkson to deposit a check for grain that I had sold, upon leaving the town I noted the smoke rising from the chimney of Frank's shop. Realizing that he was well advanced in age and not likely to continue his trade for much longer, and since I had a bit of cash available, I stopped to see him and purchase knives for my family. I purchased a set of five for my wife and sets of three for each of my five children to have when they grew up and had homes of their own.

For myself I purchased a fillet knife and a hunting knife with the leather handle and in a sheath made by a Mr Novak in that community. Frank personallized the hunting knife for me by adding my initials to it. The hunting knife was unfortunately lost when the sheath became unsnapped while on a hunt in north central nebraska.

While I was in his shop Frank was processing knives and proceeded to explain to me in detail the steel he used, how he shaped the blades, the heat treatment process time and temperature in his electric oven, the quenching process and medium, and the drawing temperature he sought for several types of blades depending on their ultimate use. I even got to watch him remove one set of blades form the oven and quench them. I remember many of these details but not all and have never had the time or opportunity to experiment on my own. I fully intended to be at his sale and buy the electric furnace and several other items, however, the company for which I worked at the time had me scheduled to be our of town on the date of the sale.

For the record, although he may at one time have used 1095 steel, that was not what he told me he was using at that time.

I am attaching a photograph of a few of the Richtig knives that I gathered together around the house.

The Old Farmer

e99ffdcc.jpg

Alan,

When you speak to the Old Farmer again thank him for his story and photo's.

It's quite interesting to note how many people's lives Mr. Richtig's knives have touched.

President Eisenhower even had a Richtig knife.

Dave from Diller

Great article. Thanks for posting! A small tip of the hat to the stock removal method. Would have been great to be a fly on the wall in his shop for a day.

Alan, please beg The Old Farmer to write down what he can remember now, so it won't be lost again...

Oh my. Those knives were awsome. Has anyone replicated the results?

I believe there are knives and smith's who can achieve this kind of performance still.

I believe there are knives and smith's who can achieve this kind of performance still.

Most certainly, as cool as he was, he wasn't doing anything majic.

I'm sure alot of what he was doing was showmanship. But try to cut a railroad spike like he did in his demo's, at a certain point you have to have it hanging off the anvil. I've found out one thing you have to strike your and blade at a straight angle, a glancing blow will make a wreck of thing. The largest piece of steel I've tried is a 16 penny nail.

Dave from diller

Most certainly, as cool as he was, he wasn't doing anything majic.

Definitely not magic, Richtig was a great knife maker, and made some very impressive work, but most quality knives can cut bolts, if you hit them straight. Besides, Ed Fowler is the one who uses magic in his heat treating. :lol:

Edited by Collin Miller