Forging demonstration

Raymond Richard

I've been gearing up for my first show of the year so this normally means along with making a table full of knives I've got the forging demonstration I need to prepare for. Normally its what ever I can pull out of the hat but this year the thyme for the Oregon Show is the Japanese Sword. In fact I was asked to do a sword. The demo's are normally 1 hour long so I said no sword but I would try a tanto. The picture shows a couple practice pieces, both took more than an hour to forge but at least now I've got a pretty good idea of what I can produce. Top blade is out of W-2 and the bottom blade is 1084 and was forged out of the same size bar stock that is also in the picture, its 1/4 X 1". Do they look like tanto's? My job will be to convince the crowd thats what I just got done forging.

IMG_0409.JPG

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

if your going for tradition the rough forge shape would really be more like this...

good clean forgings though

RaymondRichardTanto.JPG

Edited by stephanfowler

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

if your going for tradition the rough forge shape would really be more like this...

good clean forgings though

Your right but these are American made in Oregon tantos.

I was going to hold off on getting anymore propane and just pick some up on the way to the show but now I'm going to get some and see if I can get the tang configuration more like it should be.

Edited by Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Your right but these are American made in Oregon tantos.

I was going to hold off on getting anymore propane and just pick some up on the way to the show but now I'm going to get some and see if I can get the tang configuration more like it should be.

Well, since these are Ray Richard "American made in Oregon Tantos", are the gonna have antler handles and wrought iron mitsubishis?

Well, since these are Ray Richard "American made in Oregon Tantos", are the gonna have antler handles and wrought iron mitsubishis?

Karl, You know me pretty well. I've never been what you'd call a traditionalist.

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Ray you heading down to Eugene this weekend for your demo? If so I'ld like to know the day and time as I plan on being there and would like to see it if possible.

Karl, you just won my "person of the week" award with that one! :lol:;)