Thunder

My Mini Hydraulic Press

Thanks all! Just followed what I've seen on this post. Squished 1" square steel down to 1/4" with drawing dies 5x in one heat. Pretty simple build. Found the foot pedal on Amazon for a little over $20.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, MacCrea said:

Thanks all! Just followed what I've seen on this post. Squished 1" square steel down to 1/4" with drawing dies 5x in one heat. Pretty simple build. Found the foot pedal on Amazon for a little over $20.

Can you link to the pedal you purchased?

I think I'll have to come up with something similar over the winter time.

I’ve been following this topic for a couple weeks and I’m the final stages of mine. I need to get some Grade 8 bolts and make brackets to hold the dies in place and to be removable.    Thanks to Thunder and everyone’s input and ideas!!

E2026E7A-B59D-4485-B64B-E621D7F10B47.jpeg

2B089A6D-DB33-4832-845D-38E2C67C54DF.jpeg

16D07A26-0482-4B7C-8948-CAB279067044.jpeg

• Like 1

I finally got my press frame welded up. I have not made the attachment for the dies yet. How are people locking the die plates in for the slide in method like pictured above? Does this require a screw or will a drop in pin suffice?

On 12/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, Jonathanbradshaw said:

I finally got my press frame welded up. I have not made the attachment for the dies yet. How are people locking the die plates in for the slide in method like pictured above? Does this require a screw or will a drop in pin suffice?

Mine as of now just slides in, I feel a set screw of some kind would be best.   If u did a pin, u have the potential that it may/can get bound some how and won’t be able to remove the pin.

What size square tubing are you guys using for these?

On 12/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, AndrewB said:

What size square tubing are you guys using for these?

I used 2” x 2” x 1/4” wall for mine

I'll have to find some because I'm strongly considering building one of these in the near future.  Just to save myself the hammering of steel to forge weld.

How much does it cost to build a Press? It probably varies but can anyone give me a price range?

15 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

How much does it cost to build a Press? It probably varies but can anyone give me a price range?

The a actual jack is $90 with coupon from HF,  tubing is going to vary.  If you have a local scrap yard or a welding/sheet metal shop nearby you can check with them. Otherwise from a metal distributor it’s prob guna be $100 or so for a full length stick of it.