biting the hand that feeds you!

not for the weak of stomach

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Preaching, Gospel Bluegrass & Celtic Music ,military history , bladesmithing , knife making ,Leatherwork, muzzeloading and every art form that can be possibly connected to the above , and some that ain't www.hoy'sforge.com

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Back  on feb. 29 I got in a hurry with my mitre saw! Haste makes waste!

Attached Images

• DSC06086.JPG
  • DSC06088.JPG
  • DSC06089.JPG

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy. Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

#2 Geoff Keyes

Geoff Keyes
  • Supporting Member
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

Still got 'em, looks bad though.  Do they still wiggle?

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

#3 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Preaching, Gospel Bluegrass & Celtic Music ,military history , bladesmithing , knife making ,Leatherwork, muzzeloading and every art form that can be possibly connected to the above , and some that ain't www.hoy'sforge.com

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Im playing my guitar again ...stiffly.. but it's comin along. tendons in thumb were surgically reattached. Im wiggeling again.

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy. Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

#4 Johnathan Sibley

Johnathan Sibley
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:all kinds of stuff

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

YyyyyOUCH :blink: :excl: 

#5 steven smith

steven smith
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

ahhh holy cow! 

i think ill try to stick to hand tools if i can!

good to hear your hand is alright

#6 C Craft

C Craft
  • Members
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Family and especially my grandson! Building knives is becoming a passion with me. Outdoors in general, hunting fishing.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Ouch!!!

I think complacency/hurrying is what causes most accidents. I know practically every time I have been hurt if I was just listening to that little voice in my head screaming, this is not the right way to do this.....................well lets say if I had listened I might not have gotten hurt.

I had to say it but that is gonna leave a mark! Man that hurts just to look at! Bro you are lucky you still got them, they could have been laying in the scrap pile!!!

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

#7 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

I am indeed Blessed to have a functioning left hand. My first injury where a knife was NOT involved. Per say. Knifemaking ( cutting up forge kindling) was involved!

www.hoyfamily.net

#8 Caleb Harris

Caleb Harris
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • Interests:Gems, Minerals, Bladesmithing, Archery, Metals, Violin, Writing, and my Savior.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

whoa

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

#9 Al Massey

Al Massey
  • Members
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Swords of all kinds, damascus steel (all kinds), fencing, redheads, fiddle music both listening and playing, good Chinese food, pretty Chinese waitresses, Martial arts flicks so bad they're funny, redheads, really bad horror flicks, home-brewed beer and wine, and Futurama. (did I mention redheads?)

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:18 AM

I know you're probably more of a Bible man, but here's a Muslim saying that I can relate to in regards to safety: "God is great- but tie up your camel." In other words, you need to be more careful!

#10 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

I will try to keep "Clyde" tied! :P  I . We all are one "careless second " from disaster when we are working with sharp & hot!

www.hoyfamily.net

#11 Al Massey

Al Massey
  • Members
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Swords of all kinds, damascus steel (all kinds), fencing, redheads, fiddle music both listening and playing, good Chinese food, pretty Chinese waitresses, Martial arts flicks so bad they're funny, redheads, really bad horror flicks, home-brewed beer and wine, and Futurama. (did I mention redheads?)

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

I will try to keep "Clyde" tied! :P  I . We all are one "careless second " from disaster when we are working with sharp & hot!

A saying that was passed on to me was "If your mind starts to leave the shop, send your body right after it." One reason I've been doing little work in the last few months.

#12 jacob beer

jacob beer
  • Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:weapons, woodworking, the journey of creating and bringing ideas to life through craft

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

Reminds me of two years ago, when in the span of a month I went to the tip of the bone on my middle finger with a table saw and then almost took the tip of my thumb off with a band saw, but I do believe you've got me beat sir.

Silver lining: every time somebody would ask me what happened I had cause to raise my finger in their direction and show them :P

#13 C Craft

C Craft
  • Members
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Family and especially my grandson! Building knives is becoming a passion with me. Outdoors in general, hunting fishing.

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I will tell you a quick story!

A few years ago I was going to cut a narrow rip off of 1/4" piece  of plywood about 12"x12"on my table saw, on  the wrong side of blade and guard and without a push stick.   :unsure:

Now I know the blade is not suppose to extend thru the material being cut much more than teeth!! However I had been cutting 2x4 material and instead of taking that minute to lower the blade and moving the guard and grabbing a push stick which was handy,  I made the pass. Thinking the whole time this is not a good idea however, I had gotten away with it many times before.

Not this time, the piece began to wander away from the guide, which caused a bind. That happened in the blink of an eye. So now I am going to attempt to save myself and my hand by jamming the piece in a stalling the motor! Because I know with the blade that high the saw will throw the piece back at the operator!!!

Realizing this was not going to happen either, I have to hang on as long as I can, The piece has now turned a half circle and the piece of plywood explodes from the force. In that instant I realize I have my hand free but some of that piece is now coming back at me at Mach 1. I closed my eyes to save my eyes in case the safety glasses failed. 

Immediately I had a pain in my chest that nearly took me off of my feet, and also something hit me in the face. When I recovered I killed the saw and began to access the damages. I was still alive, I had my hand and pieces of that plywood were everywhere in the shop. I walked to the bathroom to see what had happened to my chest. As soon as I look in the mirror I see a piece of wood about the size of large kitchen match stuck in my nose right dead between the eyes. I lift my shirt to see a black mark the thickness of the 1/4" plywood and about 6" in length.

Then I begin to think had that splinter embedded in my nose been a little over, it could have gotten my eye. Had the piece that hit my chest been turned the other way the splintered end could have been embedded in my chest or caught the carotid artery if a little higher.  :blink:

Since then I have had to reevaluate and listen to that inner voice, I knew better I was just in a hurry and had gotten away with it before!

I put this on a big board over my table saw, Complacency Kills and when it doesn't it maims and injures!!! I know think about that every time I walk in the shop and see the plaque, and it makes a good conversation piece!! :lol:

Edited by C Craft, 22 April 2016 - 07:22 PM.

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

#14 jheinen

jheinen
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

That'll buff out.  :)

Seriously though, this will make me refocus my attention on safety. I know I sometimes get fast and loose on the grinder (aka industrial skin removal machine).

Jeff H.

CFI/CFII/MEI

KE7ZMH

"Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

#15 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Now you ya'll got me scared ! If I only used tools meant for the right materials in the right ways well .......we all make do with what we have  .

That table saws a killer too! C Craft!

I know where I;m going when I die, but when I go ,  I want to go  with every thing I came in this world with.

Thanks for the concern and advice gentlemen!

www.hoyfamily.net

#16 David Fischer

David Fischer
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

A few months ago I had the really bright idea of using a mitre saw to cut through a piece of steel cable so I could try my hand at cable damascus. I couldn't find my angle grinder, I was too lazy to do it by hand, and I spied the mitre saw sitting there and thought "Hmmm, that could probably do it". Pretty much every impulse was telling me that it was a bad decision but I had limited time to forge and I just wanted to get something done so I ignored it.

As soon as the blade hit the cable it frayed and the loose strands whipped around my fingers and then got caught in the blade, basically pulling my entire hand into the saw. There was a terrible, horrific noise, and then the blade seized shut. I sat there for a second with my hand literally stuck deep inside this saw and tried to mentally prepare myself for the gore that was sure to be underneath my glove.

Luckily I escaped with some very minor lacerations from the cable on my hand and wrist. The cable stopped the blade from cutting into my hand by a fraction of a second. Ever since then I have listened to that little voice in my head that tells me not to rush, not to use a tool improperly, to always wear safety gear, etc.

Edited by David Fischer, 28 April 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#17 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'm starting to think mitre saws have an aggressive personality, or a thirst for blood!  That sounds like a "go inside and change your underwear" kind of experience .

I have a new respect for my saw.

www.hoyfamily.net

#18 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,285 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

David, that's about the most boneheaded thing I've ever heard of anyone attempting to do and surviving.  :ph34r:  You got lucky!

A friend of mine was working with a compound miter saw putting siding on his house, was working tired and distracted, and ended up nearly cutting his hand off about halfway between wrist and elbow.  He still can't make a good fist with his left hand.  They are vicious little machines for sure.

#19 Doug Lester

Doug Lester
  • Members
  • 3,562 posts
  • Interests:knives, swords, history

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

What did Jim Hrisoulas say in his video?  Something like hand tools injure; power tools maim.  When I used to work in a walk-in care clinic and I was taking a history of an injury I don't know how many times the patient prefaced his story with "I was in a hurry".

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

#20 SBranson

SBranson
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:49 AM

Those saws suck!  I hate them.  My Dad recently took the tips of 3 of his fingers off with one.  My wife's friend's Dad took off his hand about 2 years ago and I had a close call in the shop about 6 months ago.  Working in a millwork shop we use them a lot and the main guy there has the guards removed as it's easier faster and to make precise cuts without the guard in the way.   After about the 100th or so cut that day I was sweeping away the off cut and the blade hadn't stopped yet.  I felt the impact and saw the index finger of my glove go flying across the room...   I've cut myself in the shop before and I know that the impact is the only thing you feel for the first few seconds, enough time to think of what has happened and have the fear to look at the damage... well I look down and there's not even a scratch.  Thankfully the gloves I was wearing that day (one's I'd never worn before) were really light weight material with rubber palms and fingers but light enough that the saw tore it free without dragging my hand into the blade...  I took 5 mins and just breathed...  

Heal quickly.

- Stuart
www.sbransonknives.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users