11 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

All:

My apologies for the site being down today.

My stupid, stupid, bank of America credit card decides every 2-3 months that the charge from the hosting company looks strange and flags it as fraudulent. The hosting company is based out of the UK, so I suppose it makes some kind of sense, but I've made this same charge every month for YEARS.  You'd think a computer that was designed to recognize patterns and flag anomalies would get the picture!  Anyway, I get this warning message and I'm supposed to log onto the site and approve it.  I forgot to do it this time. 

Anyway, things are back up and running now.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Dave

• alika sur likes this

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

#2 Jim Kelso

Jim Kelso
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Nature, The Numinous, photography, finding truth in beauty and beauty in truth.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Dave, a little deprivation serves to remind us of what we might come to take for grated....

Many thanks to all the mods.

Jim

#3 Brian Dougherty

Brian Dougherty
  • Members
  • 895 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything that lets me work with my hands.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

Plus 1!

the withdrawal shakes I had this morning reminded me that I need to thank you and the mods for what ya'll do!

-Brian

#4 John Page

John Page

Wanderer

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, Norse mythology, archery, cartography, woodworking

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Dave! Much appreciation for all you and the rest of the mods do to keep the forum up and running!

Edited by John Page, 28 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#5 Josh A Weston

Josh A Weston
  • Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

Now worries, Dave. Bank of America does that to me every time I order steel from Aldo. Apparently I can't order steel from New Jersey and get gas around the corner in the same day.

#6 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,285 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, Dave! That is why I stopped using BoA, they once trapped me in Virginia by freezing my account when I was trying to check out of a hotel, then froze it again for no apparent reason when I got home!

#7 Timothy Artymko

Timothy Artymko
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

I was wondering why it was down. I thought maybe it was just for me, but I guess not :P Good to know it's back up!

#8 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Drawing, Smithing and IT

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for fronting the cost of this site Dave.  I really appreciate you doing that.

• Josh A Weston likes this

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

#9 Gabriel James

Gabriel James
  • Members
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Blacksmithing, Knife making, homesteading, playing with my son

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

i was crying - i thought i had pissed someone off and my IP was banned it said "ACCOUNT SUSPENDED" i was like #*$&@&^!@  lol

#10 Gabriel James

Gabriel James
  • Members
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Blacksmithing, Knife making, homesteading, playing with my son

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

by the way Dave, I do appreciate what you do to keep the server alive as well -- you should incorporate a donate button somewhere. When finances permit i would definitely add money to the kitty for site maintainance

#11 Steve Nowacki

Steve Nowacki
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Knife making, Martial Arts, good books, guns, camping, walking and hunting.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

I second that, I would be more than happy to contribute to the forum. I take my hat off to you Dave for fronting these costs. I know you don't look for it, but thanks.

Steve

#12 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

Thanks guys.  I really do appreciate it.  It's essentially more trouble than it's worth to accept donations. There are tax implications. . . you have to be a not-for-profit . . . or if not then you're a business and if donations exceed expenses then taxes are due . . . blah, blah, blah.

I do however accept donations of beer (cold, well hopped beer . . . thank you very much, not-apologizing-for-my-American-tastes . . . ) at any hammer-in or gathering at which we might be fortunate enough to meet in person. (;

Cheers!

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users